Exercise injuries

Options
80 days in and already tor lower left abdominal muscle,also flared sciatica nerve.I am 55 yrs young and active,but this makes gym time and life in general difficult.Anyone else experiencing injuries or other set backs?Have been continuing to workout,but in a cautious manner.Don’t give up,power thur!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Getting a trainer to help you with good form might help?

Powering through injuries isn't generally the best idea.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been back on the regular exercise wagon for 6.5 years and have had plenty of injuries along the way. To some extent, they come with the territory. Depending on the injury, I've had to alter my exercise quite a bit...there were a couple of them where I could do nothing besides walk for a couple months. I don't really try to power through my injuries...just makes recovery from them take longer than need be and I'd rather be back to 100% faster.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've had more than my share, since turning 50 years old. It's harder as we age.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    yep it's been an awful year on my end - I can only assume I am really bad at proper form and doing things smartly :P
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Ive had several injures. I rest and don't push the area. If all I can do is walk for exercise than I walk. I do what ever I can to stay active.
  • fFinfan66
    fFinfan66 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I’ve taken time off,used cold and heat packs.Anti-inflammatories,stretching exercises and massage.I have slowly gotten back to the gym and not at the pace or weight that I left off at.I still have pain,but as others point out.Age cannot be turned back,thus the pain we endure.Thanks for the feed back.Keep on movin & shakin .
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Similar issue here, depending on the severity I work through it or around it. If its really bad take some time off and let it heal. Buggered my shoulder last night doing upright rows, and have arms tonight. I will make my decisions based of how it feels and if I need to stop or do something different I will. If it doesn't heal then will see a doctor.