Should I take a diet break after a year of weight loss?

Options
Hello everyone! First of all, I would like to say that I am very grateful for MFP and the community here. Calorie counting has been so life changing in a very good way for me!

I am 26F, 5’7’’, and currently weigh 145 lbs. My highest weight ever was 200 lbs. and this was in January 2017. In February 2018, I started tracking my weight and calories and I was 190 lbs. Since that time, in the last year, I have dropped 45 lbs., which is about 0.87 lbs. per week. My goal weight is about 135 lbs. or less. I still feel very flabby in the stomach area and may need to go lower than that.

Over the last year, I have not really been super strict on myself, but I have logged most days, worked out a few times a week with mostly strength training and some cardio (I need to make a better workout plan), and tried to stick to about 1,200 to 1,500 calories. I have sort of random days where I go to at or over maintenance in my calories, due to hunger, lack of food planning, stress, social outings...

In the last month, I have not really lost any weight. It has been a stressful month, however (moving in with my boyfriend next week and starting school full time while working full time) and I have not been logging every day (but back on track this week), been drinking more alcohol, going over calories.

I am however very motivated to lose the rest of this fat. I would love to by summer. I am just wondering though, maybe going on a set diet break would be good for me? To eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks to reset my metabolism and hormones? I want to do whatever is best in the long run.

I recently did some research into macros and rethought my calorie goals, and currently have my calorie goal as 1,300 calories while eating back most exercise calories (I don’t overestimate them). My macro goals are 45% protein (146 g.) 30% fat (43 g.) and carbs 25% (81 g.). I made a new workout plan consisting of 3 days of strength training doing compound movements.

I was just wondering if anyone wanted to give their opinion on whether or not I should take a diet break at maintenance after a year of losing weight. Did this work for anyone? Pros and Cons? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    You're going through a lot of life changes now, so it may be a good idea to just take a step back for a few weeks and eat at maintenance level calories until things settle down a bit.

Also, with only 10ish pounds left you'll want to adjust your calorie deficit for .5lb a week at this point. And then remember with maintenance you'll have a range, not a set number. So if your goal is 135lbs, your maintenance range may be 134lbs-137lbs etc.

Congrats on your loss so far :)
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    1300 is crazy low for a young working woman of 5'7" and 145. I would chew an arm off at that and I'm not working nor going to school and I'm old.

I'm 5'7" and lost my weight at 1600-1700. On days I did purposeful exercise I ate more, usually 300-400 more. So that was 3-5 days per week at 1900-2000. Today in maintenance at 140-143, I still am retired and still old and I eat 1900-2300 depending on exercise.

You don't have to set it so low. I would set it to "Lose 1/2 pound per week" and "Active." Then eat more on days with purposeful exercise.

Well my job is a desk job, so I really don't get much exercise except when I work out for 30 minutes on my lunch breaks. I really was trying to do 1,200 but end up going way over after a few days of that it seems. So I think it does need to be higher, but my TDEE at sedentary is 1,725 so I figured a 25% deficit would be around 1,300 calories...
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    1300 is crazy low for a young working woman of 5'7" and 145. I would chew an arm off at that and I'm not working nor going to school and I'm old.

I'm 5'7" and lost my weight at 1600-1700. On days I did purposeful exercise I ate more, usually 300-400 more. So that was 3-5 days per week at 1900-2000. Today in maintenance at 140-143, I still am retired and still old and I eat 1900-2300 depending on exercise.

You don't have to set it so low. I would set it to "Lose 1/2 pound per week" and "Active." Then eat more on days with purposeful exercise.

Well my job is a desk job, so I really don't get much exercise except when I work out for 30 minutes on my lunch breaks. I really was trying to do 1,200 but end up going way over after a few days of that it seems. So I think it does need to be higher, but my TDEE at sedentary is 1,725 so I figured a 25% deficit would be around 1,300 calories...

A 25% deficit is too aggressive for the amount you have to lose
  • peachvine29
    edited February 2019
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

What is a good deficit for losing about 10-15 lbs.? Maybe 20%? That would put me at about 1,375 for the day...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What is a good deficit for losing about 10-15 lbs.? Maybe 20%? That would put me at about 1,375 for the day...

10 - 15%
  • peachvine29
    Options

10 - 15%

Okay... Yeah that would be much easier on me. Should I also eat my exercise calories? I am trying to maintain muscle too... Thank you all btw!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

10 - 15%

Okay... Yeah that would be much easier on me. Should I also eat my exercise calories? I am trying to maintain muscle too... Thank you all btw!

Not if you're using a TDEE calculation, no.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    At 5' 7" and 145 lbs, that puts you quite comfortably in the "healthy weight" category of the BMI scale. Maybe the frustration you are having is that you should really be on maintenance? 135 is very low for your height. Your problem might be that you've succeeded!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    If you're feeling flabby you need to start lifting weights
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling flabby you need to start lifting weights

weights FTW!
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Going into full time school and work. You should think healthy food your not going to have time for much like training
  • peachvine29
    edited February 2019
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    At 5' 7" and 145 lbs, that puts you quite comfortably in the "healthy weight" category of the BMI scale. Maybe the frustration you are having is that you should really be on maintenance? 135 is very low for your height. Your problem might be that you've succeeded!

I used this calculator to come up with 135 lbs.:

https://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=26&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=7&cheightmeter=180&printit=0&x=39&y=27

I am actually almost 5'8'' though. I do lift weights a few times a week, but don't have a very structured program and need to fix that. I haven't been able to increase weights though, as I think I am just eating too little to really gain strength.

At the risk of not really wanting to share lol, here is a link to pics of me at my current weight. My shorts kind of cover up my lovehandles...:

https://imgur.com/a/6KUhTRm
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't considerate it a "diet break". Hopefully what you have been doing is building the blocks of a lifestyle change that will carry you through the rest of your life. Even once the weight loss is finally done, you'll still want to take what you learned and use it to maintain that loss. Unfortunately weight can be very hard to lose and easy to put back on.

That being said, there's no reason why you can't take some sort of break or go easier on yourself. As others have mentioned here, you can reduce your loss target to be less aggressive and raise your calorie goal. Or you can totally take some time off to eat at maintenance. I wouldn't think of it as "resetting your metabolism and hormones" or anything like that, but rather about improving your mental health and overall well being. And when you feel up to it, you can start to go below maintenance again. Just make sure to keep taking some action so that you can protect the great loss you have had.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Who's got the "diet break and refeeds" thread link?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    You have been training yourself to make better food choices. And very successfully apparently. A break is a bad mistake. It like disciplining yourself to drive safely and then when you haven't had a ticket for a year or two, driving recklessly and speeding. Or, after going out with nice single men for a while go back to the cheating married losers you used to date. Celebrate your success with some type of a non food related treat.
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I wouldn't considerate it a "diet break". Hopefully what you have been doing is building the blocks of a lifestyle change that will carry you through the rest of your life. Even once the weight loss is finally done, you'll still want to take what you learned and use it to maintain that loss. Unfortunately weight can be very hard to lose and easy to put back on.

That being said, there's no reason why you can't take some sort of break or go easier on yourself. As others have mentioned here, you can reduce your loss target to be less aggressive and raise your calorie goal. Or you can totally take some time off to eat at maintenance. I wouldn't think of it as "resetting your metabolism and hormones" or anything like that, but rather about improving your mental health and overall well being. And when you feel up to it, you can start to go below maintenance again. Just make sure to keep taking some action so that you can protect the great loss you have had.

Ah, here it is:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1