Help

Options
Morning everyone

I wonder if anybody can give me any advice. I have lost a lot of weight over the years but still have just under 3 stone to loose. The last 2 weeks I have been in the gym on a morning and boot camp 2 nights a week.

The weight isn’t moving at all. Would anyone be able to have a look at my diary and see where I could be going wrong x x

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Did you start or increase your workout regimen just 2 weeks ago?
  • hboa2
    hboa2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes I did x I had surgery a few times back end of last year so was out of action x then Christmas and holidays came so I put it off until the last 2 weeks x x
  • hboa2
    Options
    Yes I weigh all my food x
  • hboa2
    Options
    I am wondering if I would be better off with food for breakfast rather than the shake or if it would make any difference x I expected it to drop off ha ah
  • ladyreva78
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes I did x I had surgery a few times back end of last year so was out of action x then Christmas and holidays came so I put it off until the last 2 weeks x x

A side effect of new or increased exercise is often water retention. By using the muscle, you damage them. The body's natural reaction is to store water to help with the repair.

On top of that, monthly hormone fluctuations can cause an upswing of water weight. Both together can mask fat loss.

If you are certain that you are correctly weighing (on a food scale) all your food and using correct entries in MFP, then I would say wait another 2-4 weeks before you drastically change anything.

Sometimes, it's as much a game of patience as it is anything else.

ETA: I would eat back at least some of those exercise calories (try around 50%) and your fat is also rather on the low side.
  • hboa2
    Options
    Thank you everyone x I did think my sugar needed cutting down ( I love it though ha ) x will add some good fats as well x

I am “scared” of eating more calories but this has been said before might mix it up a bit this week and see how I go x
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    Thank you everyone x I did think my sugar needed cutting down ( I love it though ha ) x will add some good fats as well x

I am “scared” of eating more calories but this has been said before might mix it up a bit this week and see how I go x

If you eat too little for too long, you risk losing precious muscle mass, losing hair, energy... and it's not often visible right away but months down the line. You also increase the risk of falling into a binge-restrict cycle which, in the best of cases, just stalls your progress and in the worst case undoes it.

If you're scared of eating more, try adding 25% of those exercise calories to start with with the end goal of reaching 50-75%.

Sugar is only a problem if it crowds out other nutrients. Honestly, feel free to switch it out for fiber: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Which is a good indicator of how 'healthy' your diet is. Low fat and low fiber tend to be a recipe for constipation :wink:
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,736 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP Community. :) I took a look at your diary as you asked above. It looks like you only joined a few days ago, so there's not much logging for you to be able to identify potential issues. You'll need to log consistently for at least a few a month before you have a true idea of how much you're consuming compared to how much you're burning.

A few things I noticed that may help you:

1. Your calorie goal is set to 1,200. I assume this is because you set your goal to lose 2 pounds per week? Three stone isn't a massive amount of weight to shift, so you may want to opt for 1 pound per week. It gives you more calories to play with, which can be easier to sustain. Also it sounds like you're being more active, so you should be eating back some of your exercise calories.

2. You eat a lot of prepared foods. Note that the actual weight and nutrition can vary from one package to the next. An example I often give is that the sandwich I buy for lunch says it weighs 180 grams on the package, and sometimes the sandwich actually weighs up to 230 grams. That's ~25% more calories! I don't work with a large deficit, so those extra calories can add up. From time to time, weigh even your prepared foods to see how much they are off .

3. You've used quick add calories more than once. When possible try to enter what you actually eat instead of quick adding.

4. You've synched your fitbit with MFP. That's great, so go ahead and eat back some of those exercise calories. That's how MFP works. :)

5. If you're more active now than you were a few weeks ago, any weight loss may be "hidden" by excess water weight due to the more intense workouts. Take measurements and notice how your clothes fit, and try not to focus too much on the scale right now.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: