Deadlifts and Low Back Pain (Degenerative Disk Disease)

I'd like to do deadlifts but I've avoided them due to my DDD. What do you all think?

Replies

• Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Dont
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Ask your doctor whether you can do deadlifts & squats, and if so, what the weight limit is. Then try to get your form checked by a sports PT or a good personal trainer. Romanian Deadlifts are probably going to be safer than conventional.

If you're just trying to strengthen your back to avoid hurting yourself in daily activities, brute strength isn't as important as proper movement skills. The key is to pay constant attention to keeping your abs contracted throughout the day, whether walking, standing, sitting, doing housework, etc. It's the lower-level activities where the abs can get lazy and back pain is more likely.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Can you do back extensions? Same sort of posterior chain activation if you are careful about form, but without the likelihood of pulling with your back curved.

For core strength I like abs rollouts. If you have back trouble start by doing shallow ones facing a wall so the roller doesn't run away from you.
  • April8114
    April8114 Posts: 14 Member
    tsazani wrote: »
    I also don't do inverted postures in hatha yoga because I've had / have eye floaters.

What is the downside (no pun intended) to inverted postures? Do they make floaters worse, cause them, or all of the above?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2019
    I have a pretty bad back overall. I blew out a lower disc years ago (in my early 30s) at work, I got T-Boned at 22 going 65 MPH on a state highway from a guy that ran a stop sign (so my neck sucks) and I've recently injured my mid back from doing Indoor Rowing -- it's healing.

What I've actually found is motion helps my back. Yeah, I can't deadlift heavy. Everytime I've tried, my lower back kills me, even with good form. I have, though, been able to do Kettlebell work. I like Goblet Squats too. I can't do lunges (I have a terrible right knee, unfortunately, as well) that well, but I can do Stairmasters well. I do a lot of Indoor Rowing when not injured and I'm going a lot of Assault Bike, which also is a full body workout.

I also have battle ropes and a Plyo Box, which is fantastic for lower body work. You can really get creative with Plyo Boxes. Don't forget about Bridges too. I love to do bridges on a ball or with my feet up elevated on a step or Plyo Box. I can also do Barbell rows as well.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2019
    I found this a good replacement for deadlifts:

https://ww.bodybuilding.com/exercises/rack-pulls

Add other exercises to hit the remaining muscles that would otherwise be covered by deadlifts. But that's just for me, never anything without doctor's approval!

Happy safe lifting!