My journey from barely walking to 175lb deadlifts

Options
leenas_diaries
leenas_diaries Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2019 in Success Stories
For over two decades, I have made every attempt to stay fit. I loved cardio and the feeling of “high” that came from running and sweating it out.
18 months ago, I started suffering from extreme low back pain to the point where standing, sitting and bending became excruciating painful. An MRI indicated “degenerative disc disease at L4–5 with a small central disc protrusion with edema and a mild disc bulge at L5-S1”. Physicians advised against running to prevent putting pressure on lumbar spine. Physical therapy and yoga helped a lot. I started strength training and spent first few months learning about the right form. .
My journey over the last year and a half has been nothing short of phenomenal. I went from barely walking to recently maxing out on 175 lbs deadlift. This may not seem like a lot to those in strength training community, but this was a huge achievement for me ☺️
I wanted to share my experience and what I learned from my mistakes with the hope that it can help someone struggling with the similar issues. If my posts help even one person, I would be thrilled and consider my mission accomplished!

[edited by MFP Mods]

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    amazing story!!! How is your pain now?
  • leenas_diaries
    Options
    thanks @Fflpnari! the pain is gone for the most part but if I don’t pay attention to my form or if I walk for long periods of time like 8-10 hours, it does come back. So just need to keep it in check.

• MizMandy1984
    MizMandy1984 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have the same thing going on. I've been worried about starting to lift because of it.
  • leenas_diaries
    Options
    Hi there @MizMandy1984 👋 ! Patience is key to give body the time it needs to heal. I found physical therapy and yoga very helpful. I did get some help from personal trainer because I was afraid to lift as well. Having someone to guide you through the form was very helpful. If you’d like to connect, I’m on instagram as @leenas_diaries . It’s a good way to connect with others who have similar challenges and are working through it. Hope you feel better. Good luck! ☺️👍
    Wow, I have the same thing going on. I've been worried about starting to lift because of it.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!