Advancement on current programme

Options
I've been following a 4 day hypertrophy split for a year now, gained 18 pounds and now cutting.

Is it time for a change? I feel comfortable enough with my lifting, adding in a fourth set if I feel like I can.

Does your body get used to things and need a switch up?

My current programme
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/upper-lower-4-day-gym-bodybuilding-workout

Replies

• jocasio86mfp
    jocasio86mfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love the push, pull, legs
    Day 1-push
    Day 2-pull
    Day 3- legs
    Day 4-rest
    Day 5-complete upper body
    Day 6- complete lower body
    Day 7-rest
    Do what is fun for you!
    My body gets use to the workouts but I change up the workouts but not the split.

Not a bad idea to change it up.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I love the push, pull, legs
    Day 1-push
    Day 2-pull
    Day 3- legs
    Day 4-rest
    Day 5-complete upper body
    Day 6- complete lower body
    Day 7-rest
    Do what is fun for you!
    My body gets use to the workouts but I change up the workouts but not the split.

Not a bad idea to change it up.

Is this a programme, can I find it online?
  • jocasio86mfp
    Options
    I’ve been doing it for a while now. Here’s one resource but there are so many out there.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/6-day-powerbuilding-split-meal-plan
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What makes you feel like you want to change? Are you not progressing or bored? I've pretty much stayed with similar programming for years, I think I've switched for a few months but always come back to the same pattern of program. It does switch monthly but follows a similar template. I am boring and don't like to change though!
  • Silkysausage
    edited February 2019
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What makes you feel like you want to change? Are you not progressing or bored? I've pretty much stayed with similar programming for years, I think I've switched for a few months but always come back to the same pattern of program. It does switch monthly but follows a similar template. I am boring and don't like to change though!

I just thought it was the done thing, always reading on how we need to confuse muscle for growth.

The programmes available by bodybuilding.com even have level and duration, mine is beginner for 10 weeks whilst others can be intermediate for 12 weeks.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    As long as you are progressing and not bored then keep doing what is working. Maybe your goals have changed and instead of working more towards hypertrophy maybe you want to work on strength, this would be another reason to change it up as well.

You could continue with your split if you like it and change up the order you do the exercises, or start heavy and work lighter, change your exercise selections. There is lots you can do to make your current program interesting and the body guessing
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Would agree with others; no point in reinventing the wheel. Just change up an exercise or few if you've gotten bored and/or hit a plateau with your goals

I think you've got enough lifting experience/know how to modify a plan to make it customized to yourself
  • jocasio86mfp
    Options
    💯 agree no need to change. I was sharing my workout
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I just thought it was the done thing, always reading on how we need to confuse muscle for growth.

The programmes available by bodybuilding.com even have level and duration, mine is beginner for 10 weeks whilst others can be intermediate for 12 weeks.

One can't confuse a muscle. Muscles either contract or not. Anybody telling you to confuse probably isn't a very good source of knowledge.

One can desensitize the body to a lift/rep scheme and reintroduce the lift or rep scheme to be sensitive again though.

If you are currently cuttng, I might either do a washout for a week or blindly (not knowing enough info of you) add some volume of set(s) to help retain or better yet gain strength as well as help perserve muscle. Intensity would either stay the same or a very slight drop depending on the particular lift and programming.

Either option is valid.

Washout?
  • tanasta2
    tanasta2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For me, training legs twice a week is a no. I have good legs genetics and training them twice a week would make them disproportionate to my body. This is what I have seen people do too, they follow a generic plan and are afraid to make adjustment based on their genetics/circumstances and ended up with a funny looking physique. Unless your goal is to get as big as possible then that's another story; but if you want good proportions, etc, you have to learn about your body.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You sure you just don’t wanna train legs twice a week?? :)
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    You sure you just don’t wanna train legs twice a week?? :)

Damn you! Yes I would but at the moment I have some health issues meaning my CNS would pack up and leave 😂 I think about this everyday!
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    tanasta2 wrote: »
    For me, training legs twice a week is a no. I have good legs genetics and training them twice a week would make them disproportionate to my body. This is what I have seen people do too, they follow a generic plan and are afraid to make adjustment based on their genetics/circumstances and ended up with a funny looking physique. Unless your goal is to get as big as possible then that's another story; but if you want good proportions, etc, you have to learn about your body.

You're quite correct, as I get over current issues I will be looking into training legs more. My upper body is responding way quicker than lower.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

One can't confuse a muscle. Muscles either contract or not. Anybody telling you to confuse probably isn't a very good source of knowledge.

One can desensitize the body to a lift/rep scheme and reintroduce the lift or rep scheme to be sensitive again though.

If you are currently cuttng, I might either do a washout for a week or blindly (not knowing enough info of you) add some volume of set(s) to help retain or better yet gain strength as well as help perserve muscle. Intensity would either stay the same or a very slight drop depending on the particular lift and programming.

Either option is valid.

Washout?

A form of a deload where you could utilize novel lifts in place of the lifts you currently perform.

This will mean you can use less intensity but still perceive the same intensity as the regular lifts. This allows you to recover in some capacity because the weight is in fact lighter and you would be using different levers and ratio of muscles.

So if you pull conventionals, do sumo.
    Low bar squat? Switch to high bar.
    Incline bench press? Do flat bench.

If done correctly it will desensitize you to your current lifts and and should boost you shortly after reintroducing the original lifts. This also normally causes doms in some capacity usually.
  • Silkysausage
    Options

Either option is valid.

Washout?

A form of a deload where you could utilize novel lifts in place of the lifts you currently perform.

This will mean you can use less intensity but still perceive the same intensity as the regular lifts. This allows you to recover in some capacity because the weight is in fact lighter and you would be using different levers and ratio of muscles.

So if you pull conventionals, do sumo.
    Low bar squat? Switch to high bar.
    Incline bench press? Do flat bench.

If done correctly it will desensitize you to your current lifts and and should boost you shortly after reintroducing the original lifts. This also normally causes doms in some capacity usually.

Interesting, thank you.