Calories Accuracy - MFP vs Google Fit?

Options
I have Fit set to sync with the MFP app. I use the Ticwatch Pro with Fit installed. I used the Fit app to track my ride on my exercise bike. After my ride, Fit synced with MFP, but the calories burned total doesn't match. Fit on my watch reads 189 cals burned. But MFP says that Fit is reporting 367 cals burned. I'm confused lol. My exercise bike reported a number closer to my watch reading(Google Fit). Why is Fit reporting to MFP inaccurately? h4nf52c9s6k7.png
08hmhi25r33e.png

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your specific situation; but, I have to report that Google Fit under reports my daily calories by more than 30%---which I consider a bit of a fail. Fitbit over estimated by 3 to 5% over the same multi year time period... and yes I did check that my settings are the same in both apps, and yes I've changed multiple phones and Fitbits during the three years in question.

So trust; but verify that your weight changes are happening as expected.
  • Briankbl
    Briankbl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I don't know about your specific situation; but, I have to report that Google Fit under reports my daily calories by more than 30%---which I consider a bit of a fail. Fitbit over estimated by 3 to 5% over the same multi year time period... and yes I did check that my settings are the same in both apps, and yes I've changed multiple phones and Fitbits during the three years in question.

So trust; but verify that your weight changes are happening as expected.

My concern is that the calorie count was more or less the same on Fit and my actual counter on the exercise bike. Then when my total calories burned gets imported into MFP, the total changes. I'm just wondering why the total changes and which number I should trust.
  • Briankbl
    Options
    Anyone have any idea why this is happening?
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    On Apple, they have Active Calories, and calories burned. My active calories often similar to treadmill or bike, but burned is lower. I suspect that it’s something of similar nature. MFP acts in a similar way.
  • waballer2002
    waballer2002 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Am I reading that right? 32 mins and 0.15 miles?
  • Briankbl
    Options
    Am I reading that right? 32 mins and 0.15 miles?

That's correct, I was on a stationary bike lol
  • Briankbl
    Options
    On Apple, they have Active Calories, and calories burned. My active calories often similar to treadmill or bike, but burned is lower. I suspect that it’s something of similar nature. MFP acts in a similar way.

So Google Fit number is only burned calories and the MFP is adding back in the Active Calories???
  • bluesheeponahill
    Options
    Briankbl wrote: »

So Google Fit number is only burned calories and the MFP is adding back in the Active Calories???

Sorry, I misread where the issue was thought it was the other way round, is MFP in Calories or Kjs setting? otherwise, it could be including the rest of the day you've burned off outside of the bike ride. Do you have a screen shot of the exercises burned in MFP?
  • Briankbl
    edited February 2019
    Options

Sorry, I misread where the issue was thought it was the other way round, is MFP in Calories or Kjs setting? otherwise, it could be including the rest of the day you've burned off outside of the bike ride. Do you have a screen shot of the exercises burned in MFP?

Yeah, so the first screenshot is the exercise tracked by Google Fit on my watch. The second screenshot is where Google Fit imported my exercise into MFP. MFP is set to calories, as I have no idea what Kjs is lol
  • bluesheeponahill
    Options
    Oh ok, yep, I had trouble seeing. The difference looked similar my fitness pal looks different :)

Kjs is kilojoules. You can measure food/exercise in calories or kilojoules. Kilojoules is more metric where as calories is imperial.

Yep. I have no idea. Sorry. It should report exactly the calories burned during bike ride and not inflate it. So I’m not sure what happened. Alternatively you could enter it in manually and delete the auto entry from google to MFP so it reflects more the amount you burned.
  • StaceyM930
    StaceyM930 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From MFP forum

"Please Note: The calories burned for the exercise listed in MyFitnessPal will not match the calorie burn listed in GoogleFit. This is because GoogleFit does not take into account your age and gender when doing their calculation. MyFitnessPal takes this information into account and, therefore, produces a more accurate estimation of the calorie burn from the logged exercise will be displayed on our end."
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

If you ask ten people how many jelly beans are in the hat, you'll get ten different answers, because nobody actually knows. Same here. If you want to know how many calories you for real burned on a bike you need a strain gauge.