Daily goal/exercise/calories remaining? HELP

2»

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    So the cardio machines on “fat burner” setting isn’t actually burning fat? This is so confusing to me. So I’m wasting my time at gym for 90 minutes a day/ 6 days a week?

Well sort of. Exercise is for health and well being. Good for your ticker and all. But to lose weight, you need to be in calorie deficit. Exercise gives you additional calories to eat a day.
  • xxheath728xx
    xxheath728xx Posts: 10 Member
    You guys are amazing! You’ve been incredibly helpful. Thanks to everyone for weighing in and being so knowledgeable!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited February 2019
    So the cardio machines on “fat burner” setting isn’t actually burning fat? This is so confusing to me. So I’m wasting my time at gym for 90 minutes a day/ 6 days a week?
    Ignore the fat burner setting.

No, you are not wasting your time.

Firstly, when you use the elliptical or any other cardio machine you are engaging in cardiovascular exercise, which is activity that increases your heart rate and respiratory rate. Doing this is improving your fitness. All major health bodies recommend that we engage in regular exercise every week, and you definitely are.

Secondly, when you engage in exercise, you increase the amount of energy your body uses for the day, fat-burner setting or not. Moving around on the elliptical uses more energy than sitting reading, for example.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2019
    no you burn fat in a deficit and can only burn so much fat per day. exercise is great for the body sure and no you arent wasting your time unless you think that exercise is what causes weight and fat loss. its not.if you like working out do it as it will change how your body looks and it can build stamina and improve how you feel. but you wont gain muscle doing cardio and taking in 1200 calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

You burn fat by living and by doing exercise. The issue with machines is that they over-estimate what you're burning, which is why it's recommended that you only eat a portion of your exercise calories back and assess from there. You're only 'wasting' your time at the gym if you feel that you're not getting anything out of the exercise you're doing. Exercise isn't so much about burning fat as much about maintaining muscle or overall fitness level.

actually fat is lost in a deficit of calories whether you exercise or not.,you burn calories living and doing exercise. if you were to eat the same amount of calories that you burn you may not lose any fat. as for eating a portion of exercise calories some can eat back all and still lose YMMV. to maintain muscle you need to get enough protein and do resistance training to maintain muscle. if all you do is do cardio then the lean mass and muscle MAY be lost at a faster rate especially if you arent getting enough protein and have a big deficit. can you maintain lean mass/muscle doing cardio? maybe but 90 min a day may be too much. Im sure one of the other members here who know more can chime in about that.
  • corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Might I make a suggestion? There are over 2000 pages of Groups, with 24 Groups per page. That's over 48,000 groups. I'm sure there are plenty of groups relating to cardio or weight training or running or other form of exercise. You might find answers to the questions raised going to those dedicated groups instead of looking for answers in the general population.