Intermittent fasting hours

VictoriaLizzy
VictoriaLizzy Posts: 14 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, I’ve been doing this form of intermittent fasting for a few days now and I was wondering if it’s okay to change the hours? For example, If I stop eating at 7pm, can I eat again the following day at 11 instead of waiting till12? So far I’ve been sticking to the default 8am and Noon cycle, but I’m usually done with dinner earlier than planned. That said, there may be nights where I go out to eat, so dinner might be 9 or 10, so I’d have to change the fasting hours.

Is this method effective if we’re not consistent with the fasting/eating hours?

Thanks. :)

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @VictoriaLizzy, to answer your question in the last paragraph of your post, yes.

Consider joining the separate IF sub-forum here. There’s new posts there with links to videos and articles that may be helpful to you.

Viva la IF!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Hi, I’ve been doing this form of intermittent fasting for a few days now and I was wondering if it’s okay to change the hours? For example, If I stop eating at 7pm, can I eat again the following day at 11 instead of waiting till12? So far I’ve been sticking to the default 8am and Noon cycle, but I’m usually done with dinner earlier than planned. That said, there may be nights where I go out to eat, so dinner might be 9 or 10, so I’d have to change the fasting hours.

What exactly are you asking regarding "effectiveness" if you change your eating window?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Sure, you can change your eating window. Just keep your daily calories more or less at your goal and you'll be fine.
  • VictoriaLizzy

Ive been doing IF for more than 3 decades and never heard of there being a default time.

Fasting between 8pm and Noon seems to be the most common timeframe when I looked up Intermittent fasting. I didn’t mean to offend or imply anything else was incorrect—I’m new at this.
  • VictoriaLizzy
    veganbaum wrote: »

What exactly are you asking regarding "effectiveness" if you change your eating window?

I’ve already received an answer. All I wanted to know, as I said in my original post, was if I’m done eating at 7pm, is it alright to eat at 11am the following day. And if it’s alright to change that window on a daily basis, since I probably will have a few dinners that are around 9 or 10.

Perhaps I’m over-explaining things.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

I’ve already received an answer. All I wanted to know, as I said in my original post, was if I’m done eating at 7pm, is it alright to eat at 11am the following day. And if it’s alright to change that window on a daily basis, since I probably will have a few dinners that are around 9 or 10.

the times you choose whatever they are as long as they fit for you is fine. there is no specific time window I do 16:8 most days which is 16 hrs of fasting and eating in a window of 8 hrs. other times I eat 18:6. so my times are like say from 9pm tonight I will be done eating and I wont eat until 1-2pm the next day. its what works for me time wise. its alright no matter what times you choose. hope that helps
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member

I guess what people are trying to say is that IF isn't magic. Changing your hours literally wouldn't affect anything, weight loss isn't dependant on WHEN you eat, it's dependant on HOW much you eat.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    To each, his or her or whatever pronoun is preferred own.

The idea of the long interval is, to some, simply a way of keeping the daily eating in a small window of time sufficiently filling to satiate without exceeding a calorie budget. To others, it is to reach a brief period of autophagy each day. These are more strict about keeping the fast for the longest time possible.
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Sometimes my fasting period is 18 hours and sometimes it's 15 hours and other times it's 20 hours all depends on what time I start work and if I take longer doing my morning jobs and get home a bit later. I basically eat dinner in the evening sometimes finishing at 1630 sometimes 1800 then go to work, come home, skip breakfast, take kids to school then do shopping, walk dogs and housework etc. Then around midday ( between 1100 and 1300 noermaly ) I eat. My calorie allowance is 1400 a day so what ever period I'm eating over I fit it in that window. IF is what I call an old new idear . By this I mean it's been around for ages and has been followed by many people who found it a good way to eat but set their own guidelines and rules as it wasn't too well known, then one day along comes someone and makes it popular by writing a book, getting famous people to do it and basically shouting about it from the roof tops. Problem is in order to make money they have to make it sound interesting and give reasons it works backed up by as many " facts" as poss,, the more interesting/ exciting it sounds the more people will spend money on the books and plans. This is were that person writes what works for them as if it's gospel so you have to eat from - to - or only eat on Monday Wednesday and Friday or 500 cal one day 2000 the next. If they didn't write this it would seem too vague for most new enthusiasts and therefore considered not going to work. As said there is an IF group on here that may help with any questions you have. X good luck x