Freestyle swimming calculation?

Options
Hi all,
Back when I was a competitive swimmer I never counted calories, I swam for 12 years around 7 hours a day 7 days a week. I’m looking to add swimming into my cross training rountine now a days for running and I have fun counting. For my runs I always used the formula .63XdistanceXweight and it was pretty spot on. I’m curious if there’s a calculation for freestyle for an efficient swimmer? The MFP calculator for swimming seems incredibly off!
Thanks!

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You can try swimming with a heart rate monitor. I have taken my Polar H7 into the pool a few times. I left the phone (needs good signal to support the bluetooth..) beside the pool, and the app tracked distance and calories just fine. I run mine on an iPhone, and the GPS was very accurate.
    Best of luck!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    A number of the Garmin watches and activity trackers allow you to track swimming. If you want HR data, the Garmin Swim or Tri would work (the swim looks to be about the same price as a Polar H7). The same is true of the apple watch, though that requires an iPhone (though the plus is that their optical HR sensor apparently is more or less okay with swimming).

When I was swimming more often, I would track it with my Garmin FR935 (as well as the 735xt before it broke and the Garmin Swim which I personally don't think is worth buying).
  • natsrobinson88
    natsrobinson88 Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I use the polar v800, as an ex-competitive swimmer I know the frustration that the MFP app seems to think you swim like everyone else!