women's pants sizes, so frustrating

Options
1235»

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Different brands, different sizes. In some brands I am a size 14 pant, in others I am a size 18 pant. In shirts I can be anywhere from a 12, 14 or 16... Just have to know what brand sizes fit you and go with it. Not much you can do.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Maybe shop around until you find a brand that seems to cater to your body type. I have good luck with old navy brand jeans because they have room in the butt and hips but fit a more narrow waist. If a fuller butt and hips with a narrow waist is also your issue you might also consider Coco jeans. Don't let it discourage you. women's clothing sizes are pretty inconsistent
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just measure yourself with tape. check your inches lost that way, and just grab a few different sizes for dressing room. As long as you feel you look good..who cares about the number. I have stuff in closet with such a range of sizes. Some 10's are super small, can't even get past the hips, yet I have a 12 that I am almost into. Then I have a junior top, size xL that I use to wear before my last child, and my 11yr. old can wear it now. She normally wears small in womens. Makes no sense!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    yeah I agree. I basically have no clue what size I am -_- I have some 12's that fit me but some 14's that don't and even still some 10's that fit. wtf :angry:
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I know some designers put smaller size numbers on bigger clothes so women buy them just because they get excited to believe they are a size smaller. Bridal designers do the opposite. They know the look matters more than the size number since the gown is going to be altered anyway, so they downsize just to be able to charge more for extra fabric on "plus size" gowns. Jim Helm is the worst. He sizes his gowns down 4 sizes. If you're a size 6, you need at size 10 Jim Helm. If you're a size 10, you're a "plus size 14" and will be charged for all that extra fabric to wrap around your big size 10 waistline. It's an extra $100 per up-size starting with their definition of a Plus Size (36-28-26).
  • MaggieW52
    Options
    You know what? I'm SO delighted! I got into a pair of shorts this morning that I couldn't wear 2 years ago....granted, they're a weeny bit snug, but I can sit down in them and breathe at the same time :-)
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm a UK size 11. Which they haven't invented yet.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I had it happen to me again....the different fit in the same jean! I bought Gloria Vanderbilt "Amanda" jeans at Kohls in khaki, fit well, even got a little roomy the last few weeks. I ordered them in black when they were on sale for 20.00. I tried them on today, tight, a slight muffin top...I checked the name, style, identical tags and instructions...then I put on my glasses...one was "made in Indonesia" and one said "made in Sir Lanka".
    I'm so angry, it's like one is a 10 and one is a 12.

It wasn't a lot of money, but you can't see "made in" online. Just a vent....it happened to me once before.

I buy the same pants. i've been wearingI them pretty much exclusively for the last five years or so. I think sometimes they mislabel things. I have a pair of 14's that are new that are exactly the same size as a pair of new 12's I have. Compared with the exact same 14 it's clearly a size smaller. the belt that came with the new small 14's says size 12....
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Somehow I've realized that when you go from size 16's to 14's the sizes change. You might have gone from "women's" sizes to reg sizes. The difference can sometimes be unfair. You finally lose enough to get out of the "fat " pants since they are too big only to step into the same size at a non plus size store.

I had this happen to me with my wedding dress last year... I tried on a size 14W and it fit but I was still losing weight, so I bought a size down.... which was a 14! I looked up the measurements and the size 16 regular was exactly the same as the size 14 women's. Trickery!

Glad to be out of that in-between plus/regular stage for sure.
  • AstroRocket
    AstroRocket Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Womens clothing does my head in. I'm one of these girls with a massive bum and I can never find jeans to accommodate that. Knickers annoy me too, 10 - 12 is too tight next size up 14 - 16 is too lose. You just can't win with retailers!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I buy the same pants. i've been wearingI them pretty much exclusively for the last five years or so. I think sometimes they mislabel things. I have a pair of 14's that are new that are exactly the same size as a pair of new 12's I have. Compared with the exact same 14 it's clearly a size smaller. the belt that came with the new small 14's says size 12....
    Now that I started shopping in my closet for clothes that are 12 years old, I noticed that they are labeled large or 12-14, but when I go to the store, same labels/designers but I wear medium and size 10-12.
  • alexisjfrank
    Options
    It's also who makes the pants and how many countries are doing it....weird but true example. I found a great pair of khaki color pants years ago at TJMaxx...good brand, fit nice. They were 10 at the time. I decided a week later to go back and get the black color too...was happy they still had them. They were a bit snug...thought I put on weight. Tried on the khaki and they fit. Hubby said look at the "made in" not the size. He was right...two different countries, same pants, same style. One cut more generously. lol
    You just can't win.

I didn't realize it was the country. I just recently bought some capris from jc penny, same size but different colors. They all fit just a little bit different. Maybe I should go back at look at the country . . .
  • alexisjfrank
    Options
    I think this has already been stated, but I find that Old Navy is the best place for jeans. They have different styles for different body shapes, which is huge for me!

YES! Love Old Navy/Gap jeans. I find the quality lacking because I wear mine to death -- I mean literal death, they get rips and holes in the thigh/butt area after about 6-8 months. But what more can I expect? They fit me well and look good. My 18s I just bought from Gap fit that day and are now getting quite loose just a month later :D

Some of that depends on if the jeans have Lycra. I have some Gap jeans that I bought almost 10 years ago (no stretch, pure denim) that still have no holes (belt loops did rip though). But I find that jeans made more recently wear out quicker.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize for a long time that the women's sizes are a full size bigger, so a 16W and an 18 are really the same size. I was trying to go from an 18W to a 16 and it just wasn't happening - well of course because that was 2 sizes not 1. Fortunately the jeans that fit me best are Lee Riders which are under $20, so I just keep rolling down through the sizes. Started at a 22W (which is really a 24) and just got into a 14 (although I can also still wear my 16 and even 18). As soon as I fit into one size I pick up a pair one pair smaller (mini goal) and the 12s are really small, so I'm glad I read someone's comment that they found the drop from 14 to 12 to be a bigger one.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you have a sewing machine, you can take jeans in yourself. It looks a little intimidating, but it is completely doable. Find an pair of jeans to practice on before you take apart your favorite pair. Tons of tutorials online.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My fiancee and I went shopping for a new pair of pants for me last night. I think it frustrates him more than it frustrates me that I have to try on both size 12 and 14 (and it blows his mind that odd numbers are juniors sizes). I nearly cried when I found a fabulous pair of Lucky Brand jeans for $40, but they only had size 12. My fiancee said "But, that size twelve you're holding fit you fine!" He just can't quite grasp that Lucky runs small.

He has also given up on helping me find Bras. They're *supposed* to have standards, but when he holds up a bra in the size I tell him I wear, and I take one glance at it and say "It won't fit. Too small in the cups"

YOUR FIANCEE WENT SHOPPING WITH YOU ? ? ? He must either be crazy or have not yet learned the rule..............
    Never go shopping, especially for cloths, with a woman. I would NEVER go shopping for cloths nor purchase any clothing item for my wife and that has worked for me for 34 years.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My husband even had a pair of sneakers and pants change when the country that made them did. He always would order the same thing but then looked at where it was made and it changed.

I wrote Kohl's (not that I will even get a form letter back) just stating that I was disppointed that I couldn't order what might have been a favorite pair of jeans because of the various "made in" labels.

I will try going back to Old Navy and Lands End. I don't mind that 10 brands have a different size 12, that always existed, but make the same pair of pants the same from the same maker.
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Right now the bigger clothes I bought to wear when I gained weight are too big but my smaller size clothes are still too small. I need a half size!