Still no way to scan foods to my foods database?

I just picked up Myfitnesspal again after about a year. I cannot find a way to scan a food into my database without adding it to a meal. Am I missing something? For example, I come home from the grocery store and have an item I'll be eating later in the week, but I want to remove it from the packaging. So, I want to scan the bar code before I do to have the nutrition information. I can't do that without adding it to a meal. This really is kind of brain dead for such an otherwise great product.

Please point me to something I'm missing.

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    So just pre log it for when you will be eating it
  • jtpryan
    jtpryan Posts: 5 Member
    What? I buy something at the supermarket on Sunday and I'm supposed to know which day I'll eat it. If only my life was that organized. No, thanks for the response, but I need to just be able to add it to "my foods".
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Nope, you can't do that.
    For what it's worth, when you scan an item in the app, it doesn't take the info off the package. It just searches the database for a similar entry, just like if you typed the name of the product into the search engine. You still need to check the entry for accuracy and will get a bad one sometimes.

You could scan it into a day in the past before you started logging. That will get to be a pain after a while, but theoretically by then you will have a lot of your fave foods already in the system anyway.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    A workaround could be to scan and log the item for a day in the past that you didn't have anything logged already. The 'recent foods' is just pulled from your logging activity so it should show up after you do that.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    jtpryan wrote: »
    What? I buy something at the supermarket on Sunday and I'm supposed to know which day I'll eat it. If only my life was that organized. No, thanks for the response, but I need to just be able to add it to "my foods".

It doesn't become locked into that day. You can always move it to another day in the week later when you know you are going to eat it.