Strength training at home

Options
Wanted: easy to follow strength training that I can do at home. I have 8,10 & 12kg kettle bells 0.5kg X 4 1.25kg X 4 & 2kg X4 sets of dumbbells and a stationary bike. Advice please

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I often us Chalean Extreme. It's a beach-body program that's fairly easy to follow. There are lots of options out there, though. I'm going to follow this thread to see what others in the community come up with. :)
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Following for suggestions as well.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Same here also looking for suggestions
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    How are your kettlebell technique skills? Is your 12kg KB heavy for you?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    How are your kettlebell technique skills? Is your 12kg KB heavy for you?

Pretty good I think not too heavy
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

a load of these can be done at home. there are a few dumbbell specific ones, though i think you'll need heavier weights than you currently have.

I've followed a muscle & strength beginner plan, and a workout routine, both of which were pretty simple.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    OP you're basically me, because that's my workout equipment too :smile: . To begin with I used youtube Fitness Blender and Jessica Smith workouts for my strength training, learned good form and different lifts for a 20-30 min routine. I now follow my own workout plan so I work the whole body and do that 2-3 times a week. I do strength training first and then get on the bike for 20-30 mins. (currently not able to lift because of Carpel Tunnel but I'm hoping that will be temporary :/ ) - I've seen good muscle gains in the 5 years I've been strength training, my aim in recent months is to maintain that muscle.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @angelsja, I'll give you a couple workouts given that you've stated your KB stills are pretty good. The trick is finding the right KB weight to make the workout challenging. Personally, I like KB complexes that consist of 5 KB exercises performed for 5 reps each for one round, and completing 5 rounds. Such design gives me a good dose of strength endurance training, which is my goal. If I had hypertrophy goals, I'd do something different.

Here's one a my favorites that, on a good day, I perform 5 rounds - it's a single-arm KB complex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97GHYfVbdhE

For a double KB complex, obviously with a lighter KB weight, there's Dan John's Armor Building KB complex::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ksBu73b-w

These are just two that I like but there are thousands of good KB workouts on YouTube. I also like Pat Flynn and Chandler Marchman's stuff; both have YouTube channels.

I could give you dumbbell suggestions if you'd like but others here have some great suggestions. KB training is my primary training tool right now because of its efficiency contributing to both my strength endurance and cardiovascular conditioning goals.

Be safe and good luck.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It seems like you have the equipment and just need to peruse YouTube. But, let me make a case for resistance bands. They are very inexpensive and you can do an amazing number of exercises with them. Lots of examples on youtube.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I bought Strength Training for Women by Joan Pagano. It's been working for me.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I like Fitness Blender (they have a website, easily found through google). There a loads and loads of different workouts, through trial and error I've built up a bank of ones I like that I go through to avoid always doing the same thing.