Question about pushups and lifting weight for upper body

Options
I've been not exercising like I should for the past 5 months. Only 1 or twice a week , but I've been doing pushups 4x a week, even if it's just 10(which is good for me). I'm getting better at them and able to add one or two more each week. Wide arm pushups I can do 15 of. Before when I was using a dvd with heavy weight for my upper body I was no longer able to do sometimes even more than 5 pushups. My muscles just couldn't take it. Does anyone have any idea why? I would think the point is to get stronger with the heavy lifting so that I would be able to do more pushups at least. Is there something else I should be eating or doing to make it work for me? Because I would like to start lifting again. I'm doing it at home with a dvd by cathe fredrich called burn sets. But i'm top heavy and considered overweight or maybe obese so I don't know if maybe it's just a lot for my muscles doing the pushups because it's heavier than the weights. I definitely felt doms after using the weights. I just want to be able to lift the weights as well as still do and progress on pushups, any suggestions? Thanx

Replies

• ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Sorry if I haven't been clear. My chest and arm muscles get so sore from lifting weights that is really limits my ability to do pushups. If i'm not lifting than I can do more pushups progressively. Why isn't the weight lifting making my muscles stronger so I can do more pushups as well? Do I need something different in my diet or the way I balance lifting with pushups? If i'm not lifting to failure on the weights I can do more pushups in the week. Should I just stick with the pushups and variations for my strength or lighter lifting and pushups?