LADIES...!! What protein?

What protein powder is best for grow muscles? I’m currently using VegaSport protein powder but I feel like I’m not seeing results. I will drink two times a day. Morning and directly after my work out. Any protein powders that have given you results and if so, what is it called?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    What results are you expecting from the protein shake? It literally just supplements your intake of protein if you are not getting enough through your diet. That's it.

To build muscle you also need a calorie surplus and a structured strength training routine. The protein alone won't do anything.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    You were not seeing results in what time frame and compared to what previous results?

There are many variables that dictate which results can take place.

Such as...

Age?
    How male are you?
    Are you carnivores?
    Are you sensitive or resistant to training or somewhere in between?
    Is the stress you apply to your muscles is a useful dose and a useful frequency?

I'm not sure if all Vega products have leucine, isoleucine, and valine but some will which is very inportant especially for a plant based protein source. Since without at the very least 3-4 grams of leucine per meal, you won't see optimal results in hypertrophy. If the protein is lacking leucine as a whole as some are, then hpertrophy is impossible.

You would be surprised who many protein supplements are lacking in this basic need for muscle protein synthesis to take place and therefore the protein is essentially a energy source when the goal is hypertrophy.

In other words protein doesn't equate to results.

Btw I'm male and just wanted to pass along info, I'm sorry if my reply was out of line in your "female post".

Good luck.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I use Integrated Supplements Whey Isolate to supplement my protein intake.

I get protein from food primarily, I eat a lot of yogurt and cheese for snacks, in addition to meat protein at meals. Sometimes I use protein powder.

I use that protein to build muscle lifting weights.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    How male are you?

Did not realize this was a sliding scale for most people...

OP - no protein powder is going to just BOOM put muscle on you. It is a product to supplement your normal dietary intake. You're going to have to consume adequate calories, including proteins, and lift weights to build muscle.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    How male are you?

This made me :laugh:.

Depends on who you ask. Right, @TackleWasher?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    How male are you?

You're more male than I @quiksylver296

I mean, you lift more than I can, carry a weapon and have trucknutz.....
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    How male are you?

I do NOT have trucknutz!

Those other things, though...
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    How male are you?

I do NOT have trucknutz!

Someone protests a bit too much.....
  • Chieflrg
    edited February 2019
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    How male are you?

OP - no protein powder is going to just BOOM put muscle on you. It is a product to supplement your normal dietary intake. You're going to have to consume adequate calories, including proteins, and lift weights to build muscle.

Males and females that have broader shoulders that taper to smaller waists tend to be more sensitive and respond better to training.

Males and females with narrow shoulders width with a wider midsection tend to be more resistant to training.

This is well documented. I often cringe when people suggest woman can't grow muscles or develop strength as fast as a man, because it's simply relative to the individual and the training involved.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2019
    How male are you?

Males and females that have broader shoulders that taper to smaller waists tend to be more sensitive and respond better to training.

Males and females with narrow shoulders width with a wider midsection tend to be more resistant to training.

This is well documented. I often cringe when people suggest woman can't grow muscles or develop strength as fast as a man, because it's simply relative to the individual and the training involved.

Can you supply a link to this documentation? You know google - thousands of hits for any search, but strangely, the only hits I get for searching "Broad (Wide) Shoulders narrow waist sensitivity to (weight) training" brings up exercises specifically for the shoulders and creating a broader look. This sounds suspiciously like some form of somatotype classification system. I'd think that naturally broad shoulders and narrow waist would lend themselves to a better aesthetic (at least for men) but physiologically hormonal levels (T) and more specifically the amount of androgen receptors a person has been genetically gifted with would play a more important role. I'm not sure bone structure is an accurate indicator of such.
  • Chieflrg
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    How male are you?

Can you supply a link to this documentation? You know google - thousands of hits for any search, but strangely, the only hits I get for searching "Broad (Wide) Shoulders narrow waist sensitivity to (weight) training" brings up exercises specifically for the shoulders and creating a broader look. This sounds suspiciously like some form of somatotype classification system. I'd think that naturally broad shoulders and narrow waist would lend themselves to a better aesthetic (at least for men) but physiologically hormonal levels (T) and more specifically the amount of androgen receptors a person has been genetically gifted with would play a more important role. I'm not sure bone structure is an accurate indicator of such.

Unable to bring up the literature currently, but I'm not speaking of specifically of bone structure but the muscular stature that is promoted by T levels and other factors be it naturally or otherwise.

Dr Buraki and Dr Feigenbaum have stated the literature and stronger evidence that support this via their seminars, social media outlets, and of course Barbell Medicine's site if you care to fine tune your research.

It sounds like we are both in agreement regardless.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    How male are you?

Unable to bring up the literature currently, but I'm not speaking of specifically of bone structure but the muscular stature that is promoted by T levels and other factors be it naturally or otherwise.

Dr Buraki and Dr Feigenbaum have stated the literature and stronger evidence that support this via their seminars, social media outlets, and of course Barbell Medicine's site if you care to fine tune your research.

It sounds like we are both in agreement regardless.

Thank you. I’ll check it out. I can understand what you are saying now. I do think we are in agreement.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    How male are you?

oohhh this made my day I have broad shoulders and a smaller waist. yay me lol
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    @Chieflrg I was halfway kidding with you just because of the wording sounded funny - I am fully aware that test levels will vary slightly between different females (and among different men, of course) and different test levels will impact their respective responses to training But I mean, you have to admit, asking a female "how male are you?" sounds pretty odd. I recommend you don't ask that to a random chick at a bar ; ) you may get more than you bargained for

Sounds a little like the do you have a little Irish in you line, but worse.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    What protein powder is best for grow muscles? I’m currently using VegaSport protein powder but I feel like I’m not seeing results. I will drink two times a day. Morning and directly after my work out. Any protein powders that have given you results and if so, what is it called?

Protein powder is just a supplement...there's nothing magical about it. It just supplements your other dietary intake of protein. The protein supplement isn't going to result in anything other than providing more protein to your day.

What kind of program are you running? Your training is going to dictate your results, not a particular brand of protein supplement.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    How male are you?

I do NOT have trucknutz!

Someone protests a bit too much.....
    I know I’m going to regret asking this - but purely for the benefit of a dense Brit - what are trucknutz??