From keto to calorie counting successfully?

Options
Has anyone gone from keto to calorie counting without gaining any weight?

I've done keto for a year and lot a nice chunk of weight. I however miss fruit and want to go back to a more balanced diet while counting my calories. I'm worried by adding carbs back into my diet i will gain weight and this past year would have been for nothing.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    jondy2017 wrote: »
    Has anyone gone from keto to calorie counting without gaining any weight?

I've done keto for a year and lot a nice chunk of weight. I however miss fruit and want to go back to a more balanced diet while counting my calories. I'm worried by adding carbs back into my diet i will gain weight and this past year would have been for nothing.

Anyone have any experience in this?

You will gain some weight on the scale when you re-introduce carbohydrates into your diet because your glycogen stores will be replenished. Every gram of carbohydrate holds onto 3-4 grams of water. It is water though, not fat. No particular macro makes you fat...too many calories makes you fat. If you can't handle the fact that you'll put on water weight when reintroducing carbohydrates, you should just stay keto, because there's no way around it.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at maintenance right now the water weight gain will be minimal - a pound or two. I've experimented with increasing my carbs at various points over the years but it's accompanied by a sharp increase in appetite and obsessive food thoughts so I just prefer to eat a fairly strict low carb diet most of the time.

I know there's people in the low carber daily group here who've increased their carbs successfully. If you don't get a large response maybe it'd be worth asking in the groups. Best wishes.