Summer Success

Options
I've never been overweight until a few years ago. I've always been active and never had to think about food because I was always biking, running, doing yoga, ect. I loved to run. I used to run half marathons and 5Ks all the time. I'd go to Bikram yoga 5 days a week and commute by bike 16 miles a day, 5 days a week.

Well ... the last three years have been hard. I went to grad school and became a new step-parent of 2 young kids. My lifestyle changed and so did my weight. I slowly gained 9 pounds over the course of three years. I have a slight glimpse into what it feels like to be overweight and how easy it is to get there.

I graduated in December and worked until June. Now, I'm looking for work and enjoying the summer. It's the first summer in my life that I've had off with almost nothing to worry about. I decided it was now or never to take charge and make a change. The plan was to walk, run, hike or crawl a 5K Everyday. I called it my "5K, Everyday" plan. I also started doing the C25K every other day and doing what my body wants the other days. 7 + weeks later, and only missing 3 days, I'm down 9 pounds (from my heaviest before I recommitted to MFP), and almost back to what I've been most of my adult life. Some of the best things ... I feel strong, almost like a runner again and I'm a nicer person to be around. Even my 10-year-old noticed my change in attitude.

I'm not sure how I'm going to keep this up once I start teaching and have to leave at 6:45 in the morning, come home to kids, dinners, dog walks, etc. I'd like to continue until I'm able to run without stopping again and get my pace up. Once I'm back in the classroom I'd like to commit to three days a week of running at least a 5k and maintaining my weight. I may have to do it at 4:30 in the morning or after school but I'm committed to making it a priority this time. It's too hard to slip into bad habits. I didn't feel good, physically or mentally. I like the physical me much, much better.

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are committed to becoming and staying fit again, so I imagine that you will find a way to make it all work for your schedule. Where there is a will, there is a way. Congratulations on your success and good luck in carving out time to improve and hold on to your fitness.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!