Does this happen to anyone?

Options
Do you carry water weight the day you are supposed to weigh in for the week? This gets me so frustrated as seeing a loss after 7 days is what keeps me motivated. How do you all handle this? Do u just weigh after a few more days?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I don’t place any greater value on any particular day. I fluctuate quite a bit (as much as 6-8 pounds on any given day). I look at it all as part of a trend and only pay attention to that vs worrying that any one day was higher/lower than I wanted or expected it to be.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and even it out across a month
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    it's very hard to not let the scale bother you when you have been consistent and "good" and all that and you step on it and BAM - look! you're a whole kilo fatter!!! Happened to me this morning. I go through phases where I weight every day naked post look to look at trend (when i'm being serious), to weighing once a week (when I'm being less serious) to weighing when I feel like it (when I'm not caring much about weight gain/loss).

Even though I KNOW there are fluctuations, I still get annoyed/frustrated when I see a massive spike for seemingly no reason.

The good thing about weighing daily is that you start to see trends in the spikes. But be prepared to see ugly numbers.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself once a week. I don't weigh myself after a hard run or after a restaurant meal, since I know my weight will be up then. If my weight is up and I don't know why, I'll wait a couple of days and try again. If I do know why, I deal with it.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. It does flacuate and I know why as I’m tracking food as well, but I also use a weight trend app linked to my scales so I can see I am losing weight overall.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I'm aware of my fluctuations and I know what causes them.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    seeing as our bodies are mostly water, we all carry water weight every day.

i also know my normal weight range.

and i know if it is up, it can be due to a variety of reasons.

overall trend is what you want to be concerned with.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are something like 60% water to begin with. There will be weeks you wont see a loss on the scales, it happens for everyone - lots of things can mask fat loss - weight loss is not linear and while that is a much used phrase its very true.

This link is helpful:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634529/why-did-the-number-on-the-scale-go-up-this-week-heres-why#latest
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    seeing as our bodies are mostly water, we all carry water weight every day.

i also know my normal weight range.

and i know if it is up, it can be due to a variety of reasons.

overall trend is what you want to be concerned with.

THIS ^^
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule my official weigh-in day for Mondays for that reason. I typically am "better" throughout the week, so my official weigh-in day is Friday. I've also figured out all the things that cause water weight for me, so I don't freak out if there is a blip.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a month, a few days after my period when I feel the bloating go away. Basically, my "least likely to have excess water weight" day. I used to be a daily weigh-er and did fine with the fluctuations, but weighing monthly has helped me focus more on my habits, and makes slow weight loss easier for me.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily in the morning after going to the bathroom and use the average for the week as what I think of as my weight. I do go up and down in weight from day-to-day but as long as my weekly average weight is going down, I feel pretty good.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and have been exactly the same for 4 days now :/ usually seen a drop by day for but not this morning :/