Bras after Massive Weight Loss

Has anybody whose lost 150+ lbs found a bra that fits well? I went shopping today for the first time and I’m so frustrated. My starting weight was 285 (46 DD), and my current weight is 137. Measurements suggest a size 34 B, which is roughly what I wore the last time I was this small (age 16), but back then my breasts were breast shaped, and now they hang like tube socks, and I have all these sheets of skin hanging down under my arms and off my ribs. If I stuff my boobs into a B cup they hang out the sides and seep out underneath, and when I try a C the cups are way baggy. Plus size bras have plenty of side support, but the few that boast side support in smaller sizes don’t come close to supporting all I’ve got going on there.

Right now, I gave some sports bras that are alright, but the straps always show when I wear most of my usual office clothes.

So, what do you all do? Have you found anything that works?

Replies

• I was a 34H at my heaviest and now down to 30FF

Check out the Facebook group Boob or Bust for best bra fitting. They also have an online calculator: https://booborbust.com/

• OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    I suggest trying different brands, and cup styles - full, balconette, plunge, etc. Mine sit happiest in a plunge and I find they have a bit more space. Finding somewhere to try some is as helpful as accurate measurements. Online stores may be a good option for trying at home. I'd go either side on back size.

I haven't got the weight loss yet, but I wear a lot smaller than my measurements suggest. Accurate would fall down, almost. Definitely not give the support I need.

I know it's not an easy thing always, good luck!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    no advice just wanted to say i'm in the same boat. I make do with whatever and totally in the same boat with tube socks :O
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Try lots of different styles, lots of different stores.

Some bras are just cut differently and will work best with different shaped breasts. Breast shape is not uniform over women and that why we'll find different bra styles comfortable.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I wear mostly sports bras, and I've found some that have thin cute straps, so it works with different style clothes.
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    I was a 34H at my heaviest and now down to 30FF

Check out the Facebook group Boob or Bust for best bra fitting. They also have an online calculator: https://booborbust.com/

Unfortunately, it’s suggesting a DD, and I’ve already seen by trying things on that even a C cup is massively too big. I seem to be in some weird twilight zone where Bs are too tiny and Cs are as vast as the sea.

Apparently JC Penney does bra fitting. I’ll give them a try and see what they say.
  • sgriska wrote: »

Unfortunately, it’s suggesting a DD, and I’ve already seen by trying things on that even a C cup is massively too big. I seem to be in some weird twilight zone where Bs are too tiny and Cs are as vast as the sea.

Apparently JC Penney does bra fitting. I’ll give them a try and see what they say.

The trick to a good fitting bra is really to find your band size first and it might be smaller than you’d think. Have you tried Boob or bust measuring? What size does it suggest?
  • sgriska
    sgriska wrote: »

The trick to a good fitting bra is really to find your band size first and it might be smaller than you’d think. Have you tried Boob or bust measuring? What size does it suggest?

Yes, as I said above, it’s suggesting a 34 DD. That said, when trying on bras yesterday I did not try bending over to get all the tissue in the cup, I was standing up and trying to arrange it “by hand”. Will try the bending over today when I go.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I'm still buying Cacique bras from Lane Bryant, even though nothing else in their store fits me (168 lb, size 10 in most things). I wear a 36DD and sometimes think "what will I do!?" if I go much smaller in the future. I know this won't help you, OP, since you're way smaller, but it may help some other ladies. Lots more supportive fabric on their bras to hold in loose skin/fat folds.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    OMG. I had the biggest problem finding bras even when I was 245 lbs! I was a 38H & stores didn't sell my size. Heck, Lane Bryant didn't even sell my size until the last 2-3 yrs before I lost weight. Now, i'm a 28 H. :open_mouth: I didn't even know that size existed. I went to a lingerie store and got measured. I thought that losing weight would allow me to shop at target or walmart for bras. Boy was I wrong. I still have to pay lots of money for bras & I still can't find my size in stores. I have found a few online retailers such as bare essentials but it's still expensive & it's still hard to find my size. The saddest part is that my bust doesn't even look like the size i'm in. :'(

So my advice is to go to a store to get fitted, note the size & maker of each bra you try on, then go online & try to find similar bras. Good luck!

I was a 32JJ (UK sizing, 32N US sizing!) when I was overweight. I thought losing weight would allow me to shop at regular stores.

Nope, I'm down to a 28 band. Can't shop at regular stores either. I'm a 28FF/G (UK sizing), which is so much closer to "normal"...but still can't find it anywhere!
  • sgriska

Yes, as I said above, it’s suggesting a 34 DD. That said, when trying on bras yesterday I did not try bending over to get all the tissue in the cup, I was standing up and trying to arrange it “by hand”. Will try the bending over today when I go.

Yes, if you have tissue spill out the armpits and the bottom of the cups, your cup is too small.

If it's spilling out the bottom of the cups, your band is too big if it allows this. Try at 32 DD or DDD.

I'd also suggest https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/. They have a good calculator on there.

But C cups are HUGE on me. I don’t see how Ds much less DDs are going to be an improvement.