Bread vs. Other Carbs...

Options
Hi guys. A lot of people these days are really against processed foods like bread (even if it's whole grain/gluten free/whatever), so I'm curious to hear some opinions on how people think that whole grain bread compares to other carb sources like lentils, sweet potato, rice, quinoa, etc (OTHER than the difference in protein/nutrients, I get that -- but some bread does have protein). Say a person is more satisfied with having a piece of toast than having some quinoa (and usually the toast is lower calorie anyways)... are they better off with having the 70 calorie piece of BREAD *gasp* or having a 150 calorie serving of quinoa? What's so bad about bread? As a high level runner, I need carbs, and I like bread. But should I be trying to replace it with other carb sources, even if they're less satisfying to me? I feel like I would just end up eating more and then not being satisfied...

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I personally tend to avoid breads/flour based bits like crusts only because I love them so much. I'll enjoy pizza as much for the golden crust as anything else.

That said, I'll have a sandwich or pizza or whatever I want to, I just really need to harden myself to that little, rationalizing voice that says one more slice is ok. It's actually tough sometimes lol.

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I'm currently experimenting with the DASH protocol-a highly researched and medically recommended way of eating for better health markers. Grains, especially whole grains, are recommended and bread is included in this, (it's a serving based system and 1 slice equals one serving, out of several servings recommended every day).

I eat two slices of whole grains bread, toasted, every morning. 140 calories/6g of protein/4g of fiber.
    I also eat other kinds of grains-from things like oats and brown rice, to wheat crackers.
    It all counts.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with bread. It's been a staple of the human diet for ages, since long before there was an obesity epidemic.

There are loaves of bread on my supermarket shelf with 0g of fiber per slice and 5g of fiber per slice. 5 ingredients and 20 ingredients. If someone takes the same ingredients I would use to make bread at home, and has a machine mix, bake, and package those same ingredients into bread it doesn't change the merits and drawbacks of the food.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Bread is awesome! I'm not too fond of the commercial versions that list 'wood pulp..cellulose' in the ingredients, though. I prefer to get my fibers elsewhere. My sourdough starters are hibernating in the fridge, and I bake my own breads, not fillers needed.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    Bread is awesome! I'm not too fond of the commercial versions that list 'wood pulp..cellulose' in the ingredients, though. I prefer to get my fibers elsewhere. My sourdough starters are hibernating in the fridge, and I bake my own breads, not fillers needed.

I used to make all my bread, usually a whole grains recipe, until I entered it into the recipe builder and realized how calorie dense it was. No more homemade bread for me :p
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I always fail to see the problem with bread. I make homemade sourdough; ingredients are flour, yeast(sourdough starter), and salt. I enjoy sandwiches, grilled bread with balsamic vinegar, French toast, and bread pudding... I managed to lose 80 pounds and I have been maintaining while enjoying said bread.
    Oh, and I use that dough for pizzas as well...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hi guys. A lot of people these days are really against processed foods like bread (even if it's whole grain/gluten free/whatever)

Lots of people are silly about the term "processed" in general.
    so I'm curious to hear some opinions on how people think that whole grain bread compares to other carb sources like lentils, sweet potato, rice, quinoa, etc (OTHER than the difference in protein/nutrients, I get that -- but some bread does have protein).

I first have to note that you seem to be focusing only on starches, but there are tons of other foods that supply carbs, including fruit (mostly carbs, and have a good amount), dairy, and vegetables, among other things. And for another starch, the humble potato, which like bread often gets pointlessly slammed when it's in fact quite healthy.

For me, I'm really picky about bread (I like good bakery or home-baked bread, but don't really like any supermarket sliced breads, even the fancier ones, and even with bakery bread it's quite rare I think the calories are worth it. It's not really filling for me. So based solely on my personal preferences, for starches I tend to prioritize other grains (including oats, brown rice, corn in the summer when it's in season), potatoes and sweet potatoes, and especially beans and lentils, since they are a good protein source and fiber source too (not that the others don't have some, but beans have more). However, I love pasta (not so much the pasta itself, but how it works with the other ingredients I eat it with) and will have that -- naturally all pasta is processed (oh, the horror!), including whole wheat or bean or lentil based pasta. I use all types depending on my mood. I might have pasta about once a week.
    Say a person is more satisfied with having a piece of toast than having some quinoa (and usually the toast is lower calorie anyways)... are they better off with having the 70 calorie piece of BREAD *gasp* or having a 150 calorie serving of quinoa? What's so bad about bread? As a high level runner, I need carbs, and I like bread. But should I be trying to replace it with other carb sources, even if they're less satisfying to me? I feel like I would just end up eating more and then not being satisfied...

Eat the one more satisfying to you. The nutrition difference, if it exists, is not large, and you can make it up by eating other foods with more whatever it is. Anyone who tells you you must avoid bread (or get gluten-free, ick, if you aren't celiac) should be ignored.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I used to make all my bread, usually a whole grains recipe, until I entered it into the recipe builder and realized how calorie dense it was. No more homemade bread for me :p

That's part of the reason for the wood pulp. It makes it less calories on the volume. All cheating for the labels.. :D
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

That's part of the reason for the wood pulp. It makes it less calories on the volume. All cheating for the labels.. :D
    I have never noticed wood pulp on a label. I am going to run if I do lol. Something just wrong about that.