Super easy meal suggestions

Options
Hi, just getting started and not looking to "cook" or put anything together. Does anyone have any ideas about a few ingredient meals - like breakfast is two eggs and a piece of bacon; lunch, chicken thigh with salad with ranch dressing; etc.? At this point, I would just like two weeks of meals that I can just throw together and that I can rotate until I come up with some other easy things to make. Thanks.

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I'm big on throwing together easy stuff. Rice is a great base for all sorts of dishes and you can make it ahead (cooked rice lasts about a week in the fridge, microwave it with a bit of water for around 45 seconds to re-heat).

I frequently do rice, a bag of steamer CA blend veggies and then a protein source (beans, shrimp etc). Add a bit of sauce (sweet n sour, soy sauce, dressings etc), and you're good to go :)

I also do large salads as a main meal a few times a week. I pre-cut a lot of my veggies up and then just throw them together with a protein source (cheese, shrimp, beans etc).
  • Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love the Dole Chopped salad kits. I usually split a bag into 2 lunches and add a serving of chicken to add protein. They're super quick and easy lunches. My personal favorite is the bacon and blue cheese one - I toss my chicken in hot sauce with this one!

For breakfast, I typically eat 2 hard-boiled eggs on 1 slice of toast.

For dinner, I use Freshly - they're a pre-made food delivery service. Most of their meals are <600 calories, high protein, and lower carb. I hate cooking dinner so this has been a lifesaver for my husband and I. We eat out way less now.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I like to chuck frozen turkey meatballs into the slow-cooker or Instant Pot with a jar of red sauce. I serve them with garlic bread (also frozen) and a big salad, but you can serve them over pasta, with roasted vegetables, on toothpicks with cubes of cheese, in a wrap or sandwich, etc. I'm also seconding the Dole salad kits -- toss some protein on top of one and you have a complete meal in about two seconds. Rotisserie chickens are great for a week of easy meals, especially in conjunction with salad kits and pre-cooked grains (or, no shame, those little cups of microwaveable rice or noodles).
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken with a bag of sauced frozen veg on top...all kinds of flavors and variety and next to no actual time in the Evil Place (aka kitchen)!
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    This is simple and tasty.. season a chicken breast with salt & pepper, place it on a piece of foil (you're going to turn the foil in a little pouch) throw some frozen broccoli on the foil, sprinkle everything with a little shredded cheddar and drizzle ranch on top (ranch isn't necessary) and bake at 400* for 25-30 minutes.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You can make a quick and easy meal using Ziplock Zip'N'Steam bags. I find them at Walmart near the other ziplocs.

I just throw in frozen chicken or fish, frozen veggies and then whatever seasoning I'm in the mood for. Microwave following the instructions on the bag and you have a meal in 5-8 minutes.

Although I prefer jasmine or basmati, if you're short on time or just don't feel like dealing with it, instant rice is also super easy to add as a side. Boil or microwave and its ready in about 5 minutes. They also sell those microwavable single-serve cups. They're kinda expensive, but they're convenient for lunches.
  • MamaKL5
    MamaKL5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts and salsa in the crockpot. Shred when cooked. So good, and lots of ways to eat it. I've been eating it on wraps with some ranch, and cheese the last two days. Can also throw it on salads or eat it with rice/pasta, and veggies.
  • lovefrenchies
    lovefrenchies Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Great ideas. I'm so afraid of doing this "wrong" that I am having trouble getting started.
  • laurainottawa
    laurainottawa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My favorite quick lunch is to smash 1/2 of an avocado with a flavored tuna pouch (jalepeno is my personal fave) and spread it on a toasted English Muffin. It's filling, quick and has balanced macros. I also like to spread one wedge of laughing cow cheese on an EM and top it with ham or turkey and some spinach. My snacks are single serve cottage cheese, string cheese, single serve grapefruit, and almonds. It's a bit more expensive for the single serve but I know from experience that if I can just grab and go, I am much more likely to stick to it. If I have to prepare my lunch before I leave in the morning it just doesn't happen.

I make a dozen breakfast egg patties at a time. I freeze and keep them in my work freezer. 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave and they taste like I just made them. I used to use muffin tins but now I have whoopie pie pans that make them the perfect size to throw them on half a whole grain bagel. Throw whatever ingredients you want in - I do turkey sausage, shredded cheddar, peppers and spinach and one egg per patty. 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

2ai84d1eaqug.jpg

I have this pan, never thought of it for eggs (I've been using muffin tins, which are harder to clean!) Going to copy this for sure.

My easy dinner tonight was leftover personal quiche I made yesterday, bacon that I baked in the oven (LOVE this cooking discovery) and a bunch of greens sauteed together (brussel sprouts, broccoli, kale, and asparagus) I'm eating low carb, otherwise, I would have thrown some mini potatoes onto the cookie sheet with the bacon.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    MissKJ5 wrote: »
    Chicken breasts and salsa in the crockpot. Shred when cooked. So good, and lots of ways to eat it. I've been eating it on wraps with some ranch, and cheese the last two days. Can also throw it on salads or eat it with rice/pasta, and veggies.

I do this with Green Salsa Verde but use my instant pot. It is pretty yummy!