Ladies who lift

Men, not really for you. You've been warned.

So, I've been a menstrual cup user for most of my adult life. I haven't been having my period most of my lifting time though, due to breastfeeding.

Since I had my third child, I experienced some leaks with the cup I was using. I went up in size and to a stiffer material (the company I bought from offers a "sport" material). However, 3 cycles in, I'm still experiencing leaks at the gym.

I plan to buy a different cup and see if this fixes my issues. However, is this "normal" to experience a bit of leakage when lifting heavy? I definitely feel the pressure, when say, deadlifting, that is when I notice the small amount of leakage.

Would I be better off just using tampons at the gym? Or maybe period undies or period leggings (very expensive). Let me know what you guys think!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2019
    Tampon and light pad here.

I tried the period undies and HATED them. The fluid gets cold and you can feel it. Blech.

Never used a cup, sorry.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member

I tried the period undies and HATED them. The fluid gets cold and you can feel it. Blech.

Never used a cup, sorry.

Ugh! That sounds AWFUL.

I may just try keeping a few tampons around for the gym. I don't find them terribly comfortable but for a few hours a week. I also wouldn't have to buy them that often, you know?
  • quiksylver296
    edited February 2019

Never used a cup, sorry.

Ugh! That sounds AWFUL.

I may just try keeping a few tampons around for the gym. I don't find them terribly comfortable but for a few hours a week. I also wouldn't have to buy them that often, you know?

Have you tried OB brand?

Tune out, men!
    They have no applicator. You have to use your finger. But they're completely unnoticeable, IMO.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    edited February 2019
    I haven’t had a problem lifting while using my diva cup, except when I’ve put it in wrong (it didn’t open/unfold after turning it🙄) which has happened once at the gym.

For reference though, my flow has tapered off in the last several years, I am in my forties, no kids.

Sometimes I use a liner pad, just to be sure. Those undies sound disgusting -ha, although in my twenties I used reusable pads, I wasn’t fond of those either.

Leaks are annoying. Before I bought my Diva cup, I tried another brand but could never trust it because it always leaked. Now I can’t say whether it was the cup or my putting it in wrong that was the problem.

I second the suggestion of the OB brand for tampons. I use the Diva for $$ and environmental reasons, at least OB doesn’t have an applicator.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I like the new Tampax radiant tampons. If you only need them for lifting, not much money or waste.
  • ExistingFish
    I just ordered some Tampax Pearl for Target drive up and I will pick them up today, try them Thursday when I lift again. I am still getting leaks since being home. I checked the fit when I showered and everything was in place. I have plenty of experience with cups, so this is annoying. I am trying a different cup next cycle, but also just going to try tampons at the gym for now. Don't need to be stressing about leaks when I am trying to lift.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I use the large diva cup. I only leak if it didn't open on insertion. I always wear a liner just to be on the safe side.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    period undies - best invention since sliced bread. I now lift even on heavy days - no tampon, nothing - just period undies.

Ok - So I tend to move Leg Day to a different day if i'm having a Texas Chainsaw Massacre kind of day going on, but that's about it.

www.shethinx.com or www.modibodi.com I use Modibodi and can vouch for their efficacy.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member

Never used a cup, sorry.

Really? My modibodies don't feel uncomfortable at all! Feel less gross than wearing a pad. The liquid absorbs, no gunky bits, no smell, the only not very pleasant aspect is rinsing them out before popping into the washing machine. But meh. That's the only negative I can see in them.

I have never felt the fluid ever in my period undies. And i bleeed.
  • ExistingFish
    edited February 2019
    I use the large diva cup. I only leak if it didn't open on insertion. I always wear a liner just to be on the safe side.

I'm going to try a different brand cup, I have a feeling things may just be different post child #3. I did buy a bigger cup, apparently, things are just different in a way that bigger doesn't help, per se.
  • ExistingFish
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    period undies - best invention since sliced bread. I now lift even on heavy days - no tampon, nothing - just period undies.

Ok - So I tend to move Leg Day to a different day if i'm having a Texas Chainsaw Massacre kind of day going on, but that's about it.

www.shethinx.com or www.modibodi.com I use Modibodi and can vouch for their efficacy.

I'd really like to try some, but the price is just....for the cost of one pair I can buy a whole different cup, and you keep reusing that one the whole period, you know? I'd have wash/dry time with period undies, I guess I could just buy one to try.

I've considered making a few pairs (I'm pretty handy with the sewing machine), but again, the specific materials are pretty expensive too. Especially in small quantities.

I am not particularly heavy, I've never needed anything more than a regular tampon. My cup was leaking today, so I took it out and I've been wearing a light tampon, and it's plenty. Which is what frustrates me about my cup leaking, it's not like I'm having a goat slaughtering kind of day. I don't have those, like, ever.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    I find the lunette cup to be much more comfortable and leak proof than the diva. I'm sure it has to do with the fact that its shorter, so it takes up less room (but has the same 30ml capacity). I always wear a liner but haven't had any leaks with it. The material also feels more stiff compared to the diva. I've also heard great things about FemmyCycle cups, but haven't tried one because the lunette ended up working great!
  • ExistingFish
    I've put a lot of (okay, not a lot) of research into it, I think I'm getting a Salt cup. They have a 3 cycle money back guarantee, so....

Good resource: https://putacupinit.com/chart
  • StargazerB

I'm going to try a different brand cup, I have a feeling things may just be different post child #3. I did buy a bigger cup, apparently, things are just different in a way that bigger doesn't help, per se.

What brand are you currently using?
  • ExistingFish

MeLuna. I've been using a MeLuna cup since I can remember, I ordered my original ones from Germany (back when it was just the Diva, the Keeper, and the UK Keeper available!). The model I have is particularly short, but since my flow is light and that is what I had before that is what I bought this time. I had an M (short) and bought an L (short), they recommended I tried an XL model. I'm not sure getting a little wider will fix the problem

I did the PACII quiz and compared a bunch on the comparison chart, which is how I arrived at the Salt cup. It's just a very average, fits most people cup. It is nice that it is reasonably priced and comes with a guarantee.
  • StargazerB

MeLuna. I've been using a MeLuna cup since I can remember, I ordered my original ones from Germany (back when it was just the Diva, the Keeper, and the UK Keeper available!). The model I have is particularly short, but since my flow is light and that is what I had before that is what I bought this time. I had an M (short) and bought an L (short), they recommended I tried an XL model. I'm not sure getting a little wider will fix the problem

I did the PACII quiz and compared a bunch on the comparison chart, which is how I arrived at the Salt cup. It's just a very average, fits most people cup. It is nice that it is reasonably priced and comes with a guarantee.

I hope it works out for you! I unfortunately have a heavy flow so I need the large cup.
  • quiksylver296
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »

Never used a cup, sorry.

Really? My modibodies don't feel uncomfortable at all! Feel less gross than wearing a pad. The liquid absorbs, no gunky bits, no smell, the only not very pleasant aspect is rinsing them out before popping into the washing machine. But meh. That's the only negative I can see in them.

I have never felt the fluid ever in my period undies. And i bleeed.

Really? I got a pair of Thinx and hate them.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    I use a Mooncup and have never had any problems with leaks at the gym other than the original teething problems. However I have a light flow and no children. I do, however, always make sure to empty it before my workout to limit the possibility of leaks.
  • ExistingFish
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    I use a Mooncup and have never had any problems with leaks at the gym other than the original teething problems. However I have a light flow and no children. I do, however, always make sure to empty it before my workout to limit the possibility of leaks.

This was my experience with my cup up until this child, except I've never lifted this heavy before either.

I have a fairly light flow. I do empty my cup before going to the gym (at home) on lifting days, still get leaks. This has happened all 3 cycles since I got my period back, had the M cup the first one, bought the L for the second and third cycles, still having issues.

Anyway, I'll get the Salt cup before the next cycle. Can't afford a new cup AND period panties, maybe in a cycle or two I can add a pair to my rotation, see if I even like them. I think it would be nice to have a pair or two for backup.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    I use a cup and also use Thinx period panties as a back up ( I love them and never use anything disposable anymore). Thong ones for work outs. I did just buy a different brand cup than the one I was using for the past three years and noticed a lot of leakage, I'm not sure why. So, not sure if it's because you got a different cup or if things are just different after different pregnancies or what, but I don't think it's necessarily due to heavy lifting.