Turmeric for autoimmune, inflammation

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2019
    LZMiner wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, for the insight! We will probably start using it as one of our regular spices because it has so many positives. My daughter has Graves’ disease and is now being tested for Celiac. Sucks when your own immune system is working against you. There are no easy answers or wonder drugs, that’s for sure.

The amount you use in a dish as a seasoning has a negligible amount of the active ingredient, especially if you buy a mass produced grocery store brand. If you want to see if it has any benefits you really need to purchase it in supplement form from a reputable company.

On the other hand, turmeric is a spice many people are afraid of but it really adds to many dishes, especially soups and stews.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited February 2019
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, for the insight! We will probably start using it as one of our regular spices because it has so many positives. My daughter has Graves’ disease and is now being tested for Celiac. Sucks when your own immune system is working against you. There are no easy answers or wonder drugs, that’s for sure.

The amount you use in a dish as a seasoning has a negligible amount of the active ingredient, especially if you buy a mass produced grocery store brand. If you want to see if it has any benefits you really need to purchase it in supplement form from a reputable company.

On the other hand, turmeric is a spice many people are afraid of but it really adds to many dishes, especially soups and stews.

Yes, this is certainly not a medicinal amount of turmeric, but a yummy recipe: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/slow-cooker-burmese-style-noodles-31184

Here's another recipe. This one is vegan: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014366-chana-dal-new-delhi-style
  • mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    Turmeric in supplement form absorbs better since formulations can be made to include black pepper extracts or use hydro-soluble forms. Turmeric as a spice in food has poor solubility in its natural state.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I add to my smoothie. Not sure if it really does anything.
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    I use Tumeric in capsule form, I love it. Times that I do not take it I hurt and ache all over i may have some early arthritis in my hands, legs and back, I also have frequent headaches and asthma. I used Tumeric every day for 8 months straight and never once got sick with, cold, flu, stomach bug, strep, asthma attacks, nothing. I stopped taking it a few months ago (financial reasons) and I have been sick with asthma 3 times, 2 resulting in ER visits, I have had a cold or some type of sinus infection or URI as well resulting in antibiotics, steroids and other meds.

I can tell you from experience that this works for me, I have ordered some more so I can get back on track and feel better soon, I always recommend it to my family and friends.
    Good luck!
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    I am using organic tumeric root, along with organic ginger root, added to food and teas. I believe using in using the whole food as much as possible rather than dried spices or capsules has been helping with inflammation
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    I have been using curcumin supplements for over two years now. I have arthritis on my cervical spine and in my feet. I feel that the supplements have greatly helped the pain. when I do experience pain, the recovery time is far shorter. And the pain is no longer daily for me. My general practitioner said that he sees a lot of positive results in his older patients.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    I have a lot to say about it. It absolutely makes a huge difference in me & my dogs. I have a few senior dogs & they were limping from arthritis until I started giving them turmeric, they have more energy. I came down with a very achy & painful right arm & also have tendonitis in both hands/wrists, turmeric takes away 90 or 100% of the pain, depending on how much I do. I give my dogs capsules but I make the paste out of it for me. I hate the taste but I put it in my cashew milk & drink it fast
  • TerylOz
    TerylOz Posts: 10 Member
    I use turmeric in many of my foods & recently added it to a not very traditional "kimchi" I made that is wonderful both for all its health benefits but also as a super flavorful alternative to salad "dressing". I love golden milk & make it with cashew milk. I have many inflammation issues that I believe the turmeric addresses naturally, so I highly recommend it.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I have a lot to say about it. It absolutely makes a huge difference in me & my dogs. I have a few senior dogs & they were limping from arthritis until I started giving them turmeric, they have more energy. I came down with a very achy & painful right arm & also have tendonitis in both hands/wrists, turmeric takes away 90 or 100% of the pain, depending on how much I do. I give my dogs capsules but I make the paste out of it for me. I hate the taste but I put it in my cashew milk & drink it fast

Sounds wonderful. I keep wanting to make cashew milk but just never get to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I use a turmeric supplement just to ward off everyday aches and pains from training and getting older. Mine includes black pepper extract which helps with absorption. It's been fantastic and I've been using way less Ibuprofen. Supplements are also much higher doses of the active ingredient than spicing some food. I don't think there would be much benefit from just using it as a spice in food other than it tastes really good.
  • Evamutt
    My friend with fibromyalgia makes this:fresh ginger,turmeric,cinnamon, thyme , water-steeped like a tea, then add lemon juice & tart black cherry juice concentrate & raw honey, steep or cook in instant pot for 10 minutes
  • IDGAF1970
    IDGAF1970 Posts: 1 Member
    I added tumeric capsules twice daily along with my osteo biflex, multi vitamin, and Rx anti-inflammatory. I do notice some difference. I had also tried bromelain with it too but didn't notice any change so dropped that one. I have heard wonderful things about tart cherry juice (R.W. Knudsen is the brand my store has for about $7). I'm trying to see how to work that into my routine too.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Its good to know that turmeric has legitimate uses.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Just remember when cooking with it that turmeric is also used as a dye, which means it stains like crazy, including countertops, if you leave a puddle of turmeric-containing liquid.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Its good to know that turmeric has legitimate uses.

Can't make a decent curry without it. It also makes great bread and butter pickles.
  • Evamutt
    my husbands diabetic so he can't take turmeric, do look it up to see if there are interactions
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Our doctor recommended this spice for an autoimmune disorder/inflammation. I just used it on a zoodle and salmon stir fry and it was great. Going to roast cauliflower with it later. Does anyone have experience with it for health purposes? Or take a pill form?

It's tasty as a spice, I use it in cooking for non health-related reasons and doubt that's a form that's going to have any health meaning. Whether supplementing with a pill has value is something I'm skeptical of, but haven't researched.

But it's tasty, so use it as a spice if you like it, in any case.