jdv8622 Posts: 33 Member
Anybody from the Chicago area??

Replies

• RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    jdv8622 wrote: »

How is this pronounced? Chi as in chips or Chi as in Chicago? If the latter, it's Shi-Town, right?
  • jdv8622
    Options
    Lol I get what you're saying but we don't worry about getting technical on it, that's just how we pronounce it over here.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

How is this pronounced? Chi as in chips or Chi as in Chicago? If the latter, it's Shi-Town, right?

I want to go to Chip-town.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

I am from Chicago. I like how Lake Shore Drive runs adjacent to a large portion of Chicago's waterfront. I've always noticed that some of the parks along the waterfront include Lincoln Park, Grant Park, Burnham Park and Jackson Park. It's great how there are twenty-four public beaches across 26 miles (42 km) of the waterfront. Isn't it neat how landfill extends into portions of the lake providing space for Navy Pier, Northerly Island, the Museum Campus, and large portions of the McCormick Place Convention Center. I enjoy that most of the city's high-rise commercial and residential buildings are close to the waterfront.
  • jdv8622
    Options
    It's an awesome city for sure.
  • RomaineCalm
    Options
    Lol I get what you're saying but we don't worry about getting technical on it, that's just how we pronounce it over here.

So it is Shi-town? I'm genuinely wondering which one it is.
  • RomaineCalm
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

I wanna live in Chip-town.
  • jdv8622
    edited February 2019
    Options

Yep, you are correct sir.
  • RomaineCalm
    Options

Yep, you are correct sir.

th?id=OGC.aed33ce417c9432075227b005479ca1a&pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fV0USmRe3jVQ8U%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=kHJ49oC%2b778kTQlRjbNtsA
  • RomaineCalm
    Options
    This actually just reminded me of the podcast *kitten*-Town, aka S-Town. A fascinating listen.
    https://stownpodcast.org/
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

So it is Shi-town? I'm genuinely wondering which one it is.

I've always heard it/said it as "Shy-town". Chip-town sounds pretty good though. Does it come with a side of queso?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I am from Chicago. I like how Lake Shore Drive runs adjacent to a large portion of Chicago's waterfront. I've always noticed that some of the parks along the waterfront include Lincoln Park, Grant Park, Burnham Park and Jackson Park. It's great how there are twenty-four public beaches across 26 miles (42 km) of the waterfront. Isn't it neat how landfill extends into portions of the lake providing space for Navy Pier, Northerly Island, the Museum Campus, and large portions of the McCormick Place Convention Center. I enjoy that most of the city's high-rise commercial and residential buildings are close to the waterfront.

I like the fact that the El goes around in a circle in the Loop, passing close beside high-rise buildings. It's a bit like an amusement ride.
    I also like the fact that it has a lot of pizza.
    My wife is from the South Side. She met someone out here in Sacramento who had just moved here from Chicago and he mentioned that he really missed the food. She knew what he meant: pizza, beef, hot dogs, Vienna Beef hot dogs, cheddar, more beef, etc.
    She thought to herself, but did not say out loud: "You must be less than 30 years old...."
    We don't live in Chicago now. But we own a condo near the U of C, on the midway, a block from campus. Does that count?
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Now I want pizza and chips.
  • RomaineCalm
    Options

There are worse things. At least it's an easy to scratch itch.
  • jdv8622
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »

I like the fact that the El goes around in a circle in the Loop, passing close beside high-rise buildings. It's a bit like an amusement ride.
    I also like the fact that it has a lot of pizza.
    My wife is from the South Side. She met someone out here in Sacramento who had just moved here from Chicago and he mentioned that he really missed the food. She knew what he meant: pizza, beef, hot dogs, Vienna Beef hot dogs, cheddar, more beef, etc.
    She thought to herself, but did not say out loud: "You must be less than 30 years old...."
    We don't live in Chicago now. But we own a condo near the U of C, on the midway, a block from campus. Does that count?

I'll allow it Haha, and I'm actually 33 years old. I agree with you about the el, the food alone is a reason to visit here, I'm happy to have lived here my whole life.
  • jdv8622
    Options

You and me both!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Chicago burbs here.
  • jdv8622
    Options
    Chicago burbs here.