Can you all tell me if you exercise makes u hungrier?

Options
2»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I personally don't get really hungry after most my workouts, but I do typically workout shortly before a meal, either breakfast or dinner. Even then, I'm not ravenous - my typical post Saturday rowing meal is either a pastry and coffee or roasted potatoes (regular and sweet potatoes), beans, and coffee.

The times when I am really hungry is if I'm on a multi hour bike ride, but that's predictable and a matter of fueling my ride adequately.

And yes, you do need to eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. That's how MFP is designed to work. Not doing so will end with you being more hungry than you'd probably like (also more fatigued, among other things).
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I think others have covered the eating your calories back topic so I won't say that again.

As for my personal experience - hard cardio workouts tend to make me feel pretty famished the next day. Strength training I don't notice a big swing, but I do notice a general uptick in my overall hunger. Or more like my meals just don't have the same "lasting power."
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    My workouts almost ALWAYS kill my appetite. Rest days I'm suddenly starving. It's weird.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    If I do cardio I get hungry if I lift weights I dont get hungry until the next day and by then In ravenous and on the days I lift I definitely eat enough calories.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Cardio curbs my appetite and lifting increases it. I eat all my cardio calories on lifting days.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when I was working out regularly, I didn't see much either way, but I'm just starting up again and today I could not eat enough... I had 3 good snacks after my workout, then lunch, I am finally no longer hungry...
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    In my case it's sort of yes and no. Yes, in the sense that because I'm moving more, I need more energy and thus feel hunger. No, in the sense that I'm not hungry enough to eat back everything. I generally eat back about 50% of my exercise calories and keep the rest as a cushion against logging errors. And I'm almost always fine with that. Occasionally, I'll want up to 75%, but not the full 100 and very rarely more. (Exception for me is Passover time, but that's because I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian who feels most satiated on more protein and fiber. For eight days in the year, my primary protein sources become eggs, dairy, nuts, and quinoa and my primary fiber sources are off-limits. So, after 4 days, I tend to go off-track, but hey, it's once a year. Not the end of the world.)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Can some one tell me if exercising makes you hungrier throughout your day? How do you handle this. I’m going to be starting a routine when I move. 30 minutes of elliptical 4 times a week. I really do not want to eat my burned calories back. I have 60 to lose

30 minutes of exercise ... no. That's not enough to make me hungrier.

Getting up toward 2 hours of exercise ... yes. And I'll eat 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise calories back.
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I used to get hungrier when I started lifting weights in the past. Since I've been on mfp and tracking calories it doesn't seem to happen as much, maybe it's age related for me?