Valentine's Day meal ideas?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
Who cooks for/with their SO on Valentine's Day? What are you all making this year? Looking for ideas that are a little above the ordinary that will be fun to cook together and not too time consuming since it is a weeknight. I especially would like to do seafood, but would love to hear any other options (except for grilled steaks since we eat them pretty regularly).

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Sole a la meuniere is both both luxurious and quick. It does require some last minute attention so keep the sides easy, and stick to sides that can be popped in the microwave to warm up if your timing is not perfect. Boiled potato or rice, microwave jacket potato, and steamed or sauteed beans or spinach come to mind.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2835/sole-meunire
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I get home a few hours before my husband, so I'm planning to make this orange chicken. It only takes a 2 hours in the slow cooker, after a quick pan fry.

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/slow-cooker-orange-chicken/

We also love chicken parm, and sometimes start with pre-cooked breaded chicken cutlets from our local supermarket. Then just add sauce and cheese on top and brown under the broiler.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Both of those ideas sound lovely. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    tuna steaks and vegetable of your choosing. or salmon.
    fish is quick and easy.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    A pork loin with mashed potatoes and green beans. Sounds boring, but it is so good.

usually my husband smokes it, but with the weather being what it is, I will just bake it in the oven. So it won't be quite as good. but oh well.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    We're having Prime NY strip, steamed crab legs, roasted baby potatoes and creamed spinach.
  • ManEatingLizard
    ManEatingLizard Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My SO is spending the weekend with me... we're gonna make... something... I know it will have some cut of pork, and probably potatoes... unsure what else. We aren't great meal planners... lol.
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Every year, since we were in high school, my husband and I make Spicy Venison and Broccoli Linguine together. We do all of the prep work the day before cutting everything up and marinating the meat overnight. This way the day off there really isn't too much work involved.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/spicy-linguine-beef-and-broccoli-97421
  • acpgee
    Options
    I have a corporate job, whereas the hubby is a freelancer. Consequently he is the weekday cook. The best thing in his repertoire is Salade Nicoise made with rare seared tuna steaks and a ceasar style dressing. I have requested that for tomorrow.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Hubby found this recipe for hazelnut crusted halibut and garlic mashed potatoes and wants to try it. I stopped by the market yesterday to get the halibut and they had brocollini on sale, so I am going to make brocollini with a lemon cream sauce as a side. For dessert we are having tequila lime infused strawberries with whipped cream.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/170582/hazelnut-crusted-halibut-with-garlic-mashed-potatoes/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=Search
  • lporter229
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I have a corporate job, whereas the hubby is a freelancer. Consequently he is the weekday cook. The best thing in his repertoire is Salade Nicoise made with rare seared tuna steaks and a ceasar style dressing. I have requested that for tomorrow.

I love Nicoise salad. It is a favorite of mine to make when my hubby is out of town and I am cooking for one. Here I used canned tuna, which is no substitute for a perfectly seared rare tuna steak, but it is still quite tasty. I usually make it with a homemade Dijon vinegarette.

30zvos24aznp.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    So the hubby couldn't find tuna steaks and substituted smoked salmon. The silly boy only looked in the fresh fish section without checking for frozen tuna steaks. Still good.
    of6ei4v2i06o.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    steak au poivre is one of my favorite valentines meals to cook. This year we're just ordering pizza though as my wife is leaving tomorrow morning with the kids for a long weekend at her mom's in Tuscon and she'll be busy packing and whatnot.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    We just did a hike and shared a mini cake and a split of champagne overlooking a vista.

When we get home we're cooking strip steak, crab cakes and asparagus. I also made a dark chocolate cake filled with cherries. And we'll have a bit more champagne.