another (vege) newbie

pinkandloopy
pinkandloopy Posts: 77
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
I'm just about to finsih my first week on diet chef and MFP has been great for tracking what I eat and managing my cals. Struggling a bit though. Diet chef told me to stick to 1500cals a day which seems like loads and I feel like all I've done all week is EAT!!
MFP said I should stick to 1200 which seems more realistic for me, but I'll weigh myself tomorrow (eek) and see what's happened. If I haven't lost anything, I might try splitting the difference and aiming for 1350.
Any advice/ suggestions very welcome. I try to avoid wheat and dairy due to allergies and generally just don't eat very much.
Fingers crossed, this time, this diet (yep, there've been a few) will be the one that works. If nothing else, it's teaching me to eat every 3/4 hours and before I would often go 6/7 without eating or drinking anything.

Replies

• abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Depending on how much you weigh 1200 calories a day may be too little. Have you set your goals to be more extreme than necessary. IE- 2 lbs per week as a goal for somoene that is 250 lbs may be ok, but for someone that is 180, that may be unreasonable. Try changing your goals to lose 1 lb per week and see what MFP says...

Keep in mind that it takes time for your body to adjust and some are more resistant to weight loss. Are you getting any physical activity?
  • maybe I'm just being impatient? so many people seem to lose 4/5 pounds in there first week. To be honest, I've never eaten much- I worked out that b4 diet chef, I was probably eating around 800/900 cals a day so 1200 is a lot to me and 1500 is a real struggle. I don't eat junk food (not meaning to imply anything!), or meat so I find the foods I like just aren't very calorific so I have to eat really large portions to bulk up the calories. I've been having a large glass wine and small bar chocolateafter dinner to boost my intake which seems a little crazy on a diet :wink:
    I don't take any actual routine excercise..I take care of 11 month old twins 11 hours a day ( with an hour commute each way) so don't have much time., and (despite what some may think!), I'm pretty much on my feet or rushing around from the minute I walk in until I leave. I do try to walk most of the way home every night (when its not raining) which takes about 45 mins.
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    maybe I'm just being impatient? so many people seem to lose 4/5 pounds in there first week. To be honest, I've never eaten much- I worked out that b4 diet chef, I was probably eating around 800/900 cals a day so 1200 is a lot to me and 1500 is a real struggle. I don't eat junk food (not meaning to imply anything!), or meat so I find the foods I like just aren't very calorific so I have to eat really large portions to bulk up the calories. I've been having a large glass wine and small bar chocolateafter dinner to boost my intake which seems a little crazy on a diet :wink:
    I don't take any actual routine excercise..I take care of 11 month old twins 11 hours a day ( with an hour commute each way) so don't have much time., and (despite what some may think!), I'm pretty much on my feet or rushing around from the minute I walk in until I leave. I do try to walk most of the way home every night (when its not raining) which takes about 45 mins.

Try eating nuts instead of the chocolate they can be quite calorific but are high protein and full of fat (the good kind) You need to feed the body properly for it to work efficiently
  • nuts! :wink: why didn't I think of that?? I love nuts (luckily not allergic) but have always avoided them beacuse they're so high in fat/ cals so its just habit not to eat them.
    thanks...don't really want to be eating wine and chocolate every day. Finally managed to sort out my goals and MFP now seems to agree with me that I should stick to 1200 cals....but the nice lady I spoke to (direct) at diet chef still insists I should be on 1500. oh, it's a minefield of confusion.
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    nuts! :wink: why didn't I think of that?? I love nuts (luckily not allergic) but have always avoided them beacuse they're so high in fat/ cals so its just habit not to eat them.
    thanks...don't really want to be eating wine and chocolate every day. Finally managed to sort out my goals and MFP now seems to agree with me that I should stick to 1200 cals....but the nice lady I spoke to (direct) at diet chef still insists I should be on 1500. oh, it's a minefield of confusion.

She told me I should be on 1500 too and tried her hardest to sell me that size hamper but I insisted on having the 1200 and adding additional calories myself.
This discussion has been closed.