So glad I started CrossFit! You might like it too.

I started CrossFit back at the end of November, and have been going 4 days per week. I love it! I love the crazy variety to the workouts and all the things I'm learning.

I'm trying new things, getting stronger, working harder than I ever would on my own, and I'm motivated to improve my nutrition. It turns out I like lifting weights, and I can still do handstands!

On the first day, I could not even hang from the bar. Now I can hang for thirty seconds! My year-long goal is to do one strict pull-up. That seems impossible, really, but I do a bit of work on it each time I go to the gym.

I had never lifted weights (other than little handheld weights) in my life. Now I look forward to deadlifts and push presses and back squats. (I hate snatches and hope we never do them again. :))

If you're worried about injury, do know that all the workouts are 'scaleable' meaning they adjust them so anyone (really!) can do them. For example, I can't do a pushup without pain in my right shoulder, so rather than doing push-ups, I do a plank with shoulder taps. For burpees, I do the plank/shoulder taps and then get up (exhausting).

I just thought I'd post in case anyone was considering CrossFit. I say give it a go! I am SO glad I did.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I'm glad you found something that you enjoy. I went a couple of times and it wasn't for me. My wife used to be a big crossfitter though and I know she would love to go back.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    7elizamae wrote: »
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    I love crossfit!!!! I started 5 years ago and got addicted.
    You will notice the better your nutrition is the better you feel in your workouts. I have to scale most workouts, but I still get a great workout in.

I am so glad you found something you enjoy!!

I just started reading about the Zone Diet. I don't need to lose any weight, but the 'zone' idea looks like a good way to think about balancing meals for nutrition.

And I do enjoy CrossFit so much! Even after today's 100 burpee workout, I was so glad I had gone to do it.

I expect to be scaling my workouts for quite some time, and I'm fine with that. I turned 50 a month ago, so I think I'm the oldest woman at the gym.

I hope to make it to 5 years like you have!

100 burpee workout? Ok that is inspiring all on it's own. It's nice to see when someone finds something they really enjoy :)
  • skeete17
    skeete17 Posts: 2 Member
    Another CrossFit lover here. Love my box and that family feeling I get when I'm there. I joined my box in June 2018 and canceled my regular gym membership 3 months later and never looked back
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    skeete17 wrote: »
    Another CrossFit lover here. Love my box and that family feeling I get when I'm there. I joined my box in June 2018 and canceled my regular gym membership 3 months later and never looked back

I feel that way, too! I would hate to go back to running, or random cardio, or fitness videos. This is just so much better!
  • mackfoo
    mackfoo Posts: 28 Member
    Another Crossfit lover! Getting callouses from T2B, but improving lol.

I hate Burpees......hate
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Another crossfit lover here. I used to hate snatches too since the hand placement feels awkward to me and it has always been my weakest move. However, I have learned to appreciate it and will usually choose that if it is an option.

Usually, our least favorite moves are our weaknesses and what we should be working on most. Glad you found something you enjoy!
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Welcome to the cult/family. 4 year crossfitter. I love it! The variety and the people. I’ve learned some awesome stuff over the years and I’m a stronger fitter person than ever before. Bring on the open!
  • 7elizamae
    mackfoo wrote: »
    Another Crossfit lover! Getting callouses from T2B, but improving lol.

I hate Burpees......hate

I need some callouses! I've improved a LOT at hanging from the bar (I can do 30+ seconds now -- up from ZERO), but my hands just hurt while doing it. I seem to have the strength in my upper body now, but not whatever my hands need to do much more.

My goal for the year is to do one (just one!) strict pull-up. I have until next December. We'll see how that goes. :)

• 7elizamae
    Another crossfit lover here. I used to hate snatches too since the hand placement feels awkward to me and it has always been my weakest move. However, I have learned to appreciate it and will usually choose that if it is an option.

Usually, our least favorite moves are our weaknesses and what we should be working on most. Glad you found something you enjoy!

Good to hear the snatches might get better. Ugh. I just felt so uncoordinated while doing them.

I like split jerks (I think that's what they're called?) and the overhead press things much better. Those are both really fun. And I like working on my deadlifts.

Never in a million years would I have ever thought I'd love lifting weights!
  • 7elizamae
    Welcome to the cult/family. 4 year crossfitter. I love it! The variety and the people. I’ve learned some awesome stuff over the years and I’m a stronger fitter person than ever before. Bring on the open!

Do newbies like me do the Open?
    I'll try anything, but it just sounds intimidating.
  • 7elizamae
    YES!! I LOVE seeing people get into Crossfit. I started back in June. Its helped me shed by leaps and bounds. It can be life changing. People are so scared and intimidated. I came into when I had to have people help me with daily activities like shopping and laundry. I've regained my independence. Zero regret.

This is inspiring! Good for you!
    It does feel so good to be getting stronger, doesn't it?
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    7elizamae wrote: »

Do newbies like me do the Open?
    I'll try anything, but it just sounds intimidating.

YES the open is for everyone. Do it. It’s the best 5 weeks of the CrossFit year!

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    "If a Vegan does cross fit which one do they talk about first?"

CF is on the list of things I will not do.
    Too old. Too many joints with degenerative osteoarthritis.
    Can't do most of the movements involved. I've watched the competitions. Definitely not for me.
  • 7elizamae
    https://www.crossfit.com/at-home/sit-up-variation

Check this out!
    Not all of us look like the people in the competitions. :)
  • Scarlettriestorun
    Scarlettriestorun Posts: 40 Member
    Help!!! What is crossfit???? Sounds great
  • piddings1951
    piddings1951 Posts: 27 Member
    I’m really interested in crossfit. Looks like a great way to mix up your training. I have two concerns. One is that the people i watch do it are very high impact. Not much on ripping up my body if I can help it. The other is how do you start. I’m big on preconditioning. What do you think?
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I'm taking an intro class tomorrow. Any words of advice?
    Thanks.