Physical and Mental Health

Options
katieadams912
katieadams912 Posts: 18 Member
So I’ve posted a few things here and there but I haven’t indulged in this category. So, how can you be physically healthy when you have health issues and mental health problems on top of it? Bipolar, BPD, and depression don’t exactly mix. I also have a condition called Grave’s Disease (not contagious) otherwise known as hyperthyroidism. I know it’s supposed to make me not gain weight but the fact is I did and now I’m tying to work out and eat right and it’s just so damn hard guys. So how do you do it??

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia, bone spurs and arthritis. All of these make it hard for me to get up and just move, let alone exercise and lose weight. At the same time, exercise and weight loss will help relieve some (maybe all) of these. All I can say is to just get up, move and try to do something even if it's just washing dishes for 10 minutes. It's all I can do right now.

water is a great place to move around w these particular issues...sometimes just floating a bit eases discomfort
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    So I’ve posted a few things here and there but I haven’t indulged in this category. So, how can you be physically healthy when you have health issues and mental health problems on top of it? Bipolar, BPD, and depression don’t exactly mix. I also have a condition called Grave’s Disease (not contagious) otherwise known as hyperthyroidism. I know it’s supposed to make me not gain weight but the fact is I did and now I’m tying to work out and eat right and it’s just so damn hard guys. So how do you do it??
    This is all personal opinion mind you...I think fitness is a great place to start in that you make small, achievable goals, and when you make those goals you make new ones. The positive reinforcement can carry over into other parts of your life.

One small step at a time will get you through each day. Can it be hard? Of course. Just remember that even people who have no physical or mental challenges also have hard days. Hang in there :)
  • OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Getting my mental health and fatigue under control has been 100% necessary for me to get to the right mindset to lose weight. I spent years trying to lose but I couldn't ever keep it up.

Walking lots (had a dog) didn't make much difference to my depression and anxiety, although it made dealing with my agoraphobic and social anxiety symptoms easier (going outside without a dog is far harder, if he needed a walk or later on a gentle stroll and sniff, I did it for him, and he was like a comfort blanket). But it didn't fix anything. And I kept gaining weight. That said, I was fairly fit despite my weight, losing that fitness has definitely put an extra strain on my mental health. A few stone ago I could walk around a zoo or whatever much easier, sometimes being able to do small things you like occasionally can have a big effect.

I think when you have multiple health issues, whether physical, mental or both, what will help you, which things to focus on, can vary so much. There's no simple answer.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    There are many studies showing that swimming improves mental health as well as physical health. Many report reducing or even eliminating anti depressant medication.
    For me, swimming is a great stress reducer, particularly when I have extended trips to China away from home and family.
    I have arthritis in my feet too. So swimming let's me exercise without impacting my feet and I don't feel myself sweat like I do when I'm in a spinning class.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I look at things holistically and would stress that one cannot be fulfilled without addressing their physical, mental, and spiritual aspects in life or the other aspects will suffer.

I wouldn't imagine much in the realm of proof of causation, but I cannot make a logical case to neglect an aspect of one's life.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I look at things holistically and would stress that one cannot be fulfilled without addressing their physical, mental, and spiritual aspects in life or the other aspects will suffer.

I wouldn't imagine much in the realm of proof of causation, but I cannot make a logical case to neglect an aspect of one's life.

I can obviously only speak for myself, but I certainly agree with that belief. For what it's worth. :)