Self destructive tendencies

Options
Hi everyone,
I’ve recently lost 60 lbs after having my second child in August. It came off so easily for months and I’ve recently plateaued and I know it’s my own fault because whenever I get close to being happy with the way I look I do this thing where my nutrition goes off the rails and I make a bunch of excuses for myself. My mindset isn’t half as determined as I was when I started this, but I think I’m afraid to succeed. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• thegongshow
    thegongshow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yep! I’ve lost large amounts of weight multiple times and have gained it back again and again. I’ve been really good the last year and half and have kept the weight off and continue to slowly lose.
    The best advice I can give is to have a ton of protein first thing in the morning. I mean a ton of protein!
    It keeps you really full for most of the day and keeps the snacking and cravings down.
    It’s been the most helpful thing for me.
    Also continuing to set new goals for myself has been very helpful. I’m at 20% body fat right now and it’s very easy for me to think I’m fine and have the extra room to skip the gym or eat like crap. That mindset has always been the start of my gaining it all back, so I try to be very aware of my thought process when I do eat outside my diet or when I want to skip the gym. Also find motivation in others and keep setting new goals for yourself so you have something to crush.
    You got this 💪🏻
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    happens to me often. Once people start noticing Im losing and am being successful. something makes me go crazy and go off my meal plan. This time around im losing slower, hoping my head won't get in my way this time.
    I also don't share my weight loss journey with anyone
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    yes.. I do this all the time.. almost like I am afraid to achieve my ultimate goal...will I have to move on to other issues in life. lol. maybe we are used to being in diet mode..this time I swear I'm not going to do it.
  • cre804
    cre804 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 40+ pounds, had my eye on 50. Bought new clothes then got derailed during the holidays. I had bouts of being conflicted about the weight loss. I’ve had to adjust to being in this new skin. I’ve still got a ways to go and I need to find a way to get my mojo back.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    There’s the workings of the law of diminishing returns. When you started you had issues and an idea of the final destination. Likely many or all of your starting issues are gone. Do you still want the same final destination? Sounds like a yes from your post. If so you had best get to it for real for this reason- telling yourself that you want to do something that is within your control but not doing it, is, as you point out, destructive. Likely it doesn’t really matter if you lose the few lbs to get to goal. But undermining yourself does matter. And undermining yourself in this minor thing could bleed into something important.

You need to get to goal because you decided it was your goal. There’s no other way to end this.

So its not necessarily determination to see Xlbs on the scale that’s at stake, its determination to stand by your decision to see Xlbs on the scale. See it thorough because its what you decided. Respect your decision.

• WayLessWendy
    WayLessWendy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'll be doing good for a couple of weeks and lose some weight and then tell myself I can take a break. I don't need to do that work out this week because I've been constant for x amount of weeks, or I can have a burger a day or two in a row because I've lost x amount of weight and then weeks turn into months turn into 5 or 10 more pounds added on. its a vicious cycle.