Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

5:2 intermittent fasting-question

Prady2012Prady2012 Posts: 41Member, Premium Member Posts: 41Member, Premium Member
I want to try 5:2 fasting. I am currently following 1200 calories per day. So if i want to include 5:2 fasting, i think following must be the plan

5 days 1200 cal
2 days 600 cal
My questions
1) for 5 days do i eat 2000 cal (maintainence) or 1200 cal(recommended by mfp to lose 2lb/week)?
2) can i change my fasting days every other week?

Thanks,
Prady

Replies

• CartagenitaCartagenita Posts: 11Member, Premium Member Posts: 11Member, Premium Member
    I read about this 5:2 fasting .... 5 days u eat regularly & 2 days u fast or u can eat 500 calories for woman (600 for men)
  • heybalesheybales Posts: 16,253Member Member Posts: 16,253Member Member
    Your plan is not correct.

#1 perhaps - depends if 2000 is really your average maintenance. That is probably average sedentary woman level of maintenance.

You working out?
    Then you are not sedentary.
    Got a physical job, or frankly do you come home from even a desk job and have home responsibilities that keep you busy?
    Then you are not sedentary, probably Lightly-Active.
    Use the exercise calculator for your typical workouts part of the equation - add those to a weeks worth of honest activity level calorie burn, divide by 7.

Then your average daily will be higher from several days spiking higher. Could be 2200, 2400, ect.

Then indeed 2 non-consecutive days at 1/4 maintenance - whatever that works out to be.

Sure the days can change around if you have a 2 week type schedule.

The study showed that the 22% average deficit caused by this led to better adherence and sustaining it for the time period of study.
    It seems many keep the lifestyle when they have reached goal weight - and just eat more on the other days to compensate.
  • CharlieBeansmomTraceyCharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,702Member Member Posts: 7,702Member Member
    I read about this 5:2 fasting .... 5 days u eat regularly & 2 days u fast or u can eat 500 calories for woman (600 for men)

5:2 is you eat maintenance calories 5 days a week and the other 2 days you eat 500-600 calories. I mean you can fast where there is no food but who wants to do that? I would pass out if I didnt eat at all (but thats me)
  • Prady2012Prady2012 Posts: 41Member, Premium Member Posts: 41Member, Premium Member
    Thank you everyone