Bad restaurant experiences

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Shoot, if that was the worst I have ever experienced at a restaurant I wouldn't have any complaints.

My husband and I went out to a resturant where we got absolutely horrible service. The waitress hung out at the hostess podium with her back turned to us about 95% of the time we were there... she never refilled our drinks or came by to check on us. When it was time for us to get our check, we had the busboy help us because we couldn't get the attention of our waitress... because she had her back towards us. So we tipped the busboy instead.

Then there was another time where the waitress got the order all wrong and then the kitchen let hers sit while mine was still cooking... so it was cold and virtually unedible.

But with all that said, we usually get pretty good service when going out and we tip accordingly.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I go to Salem every year for Halloween and we make it a point to visit new restaurants in the area while we are there. I am a foodie and a chef and tend to love trying new things / seeing new ideas. I usually am never over critical unless someone swears theirs is the best, or I really psyche myself up for it.

I'll paste the reviews I left on the sites following the description of the 43 Church Burger, which was promoted on Ghost Adventures on Travel Channel. The other thing that was a huge issue was trying to find what was supposed to be a staple in Mass - New England Clam Chowder. I would go the entire day not eating in hopes of filling up on an amazing binge of the NE Clam Chowder, only to find it water, bland, scorched, or tasting nothing like clams. Spent over $60 on clam chowder that weekend, and the best one I had was at Chili's, possibly because it came from a can - so disappointing lol.

The 43 Church place has since closed - they had a burger that was described as grilled angus with thick cut peppercorn bacon topped with melted gorgonzola on a pretzel bun with side of shoe string potatoes. I ordered it medium rare and it came out charred black on the outside, and cooked to temperature in the middle. This wouldn't have been an issue except aside from the burger, everything else was lukewarm / cold at best and the burger was unseasoned (this baffles me). It would not have been an issue except the burger was $24!!!! They also did some weird attempt at a take on tuna tar tar, making it with sliced raw apples in it....which did not make sense / taste good at all lol.

Other place we went to had this AMAZING pumpkin seasonal beer that they would put this caramel / pumpkin glaze on the rim of the rim of the glass and dip it in pumpkin spice / brown sugar (AWESOME)

Downside was it took over 30 minutes before we even got a beer, waited 20 minutes to get menus, 15 for nachos that were cold, and had no cheese on them except on the top layer. I dealt with it, annoyed as I had been waiting so long already. Went to ask for another beer, because it was so good. But I then realized that they had stuck the check under the nachos so we were closed out already. I said screw it, paid the check, 10% and left.
  • DiaryofaFitMommy
    Options
    Found a BAND AID in my pasta once
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've had the occasional waiter or waitress who never comes by to refill drinks, have walked out of two different restaurants because no one came to wait on us for 5+ minutes after we were seated, and maybe once or twice had an order completely screwed up. I usually leave 15-20% on the taxed bill (so apparently higher than I should anyway) but I know I have at least once left zero tip. I don't remember exactly why it was so bad, but it takes a LOT to piss me off in a restaurant so it must have been pretty horrible. About six months ago my bf and I went to this kitbar that we really like (basically a bar that is also an open kitchen and the bartenders make your food), and about halfway through our appetizer we had the unpleasant experience of seeing a roach scuttle across the food prep counter two feet in front of us. We informed our bartender when he came back over, I ate about half of my dinner (only because it had been prepared in another area), and even though they comped us a round of drinks and our entrees (I tipped the kid very well also) I will never go back. It is unfortunate because they have delicious food and creative beverages, but even now the thought of eating there brings up the image of that roach running around and makes me gag a bit.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It is always unacceptable for a server to ask about the tip. That said, I always write "cash" on the tip line for two reasons. One is because that lets the server know that I have left cash on the table and the second is so that someone can't write their own tip amount in that space. I've seen it happen before.

I worked at one of the top steakhouses on the east coast for 5 or 6 years. I was a waitress and my (now) husband was a cook. We are very nice to people who work in the service industry because we've been there, done that. But we also know what management will and will not accept and we won't allow a server to give us poor service without speaking to management about it. We have no problems if a restaurant is extremely busy and our server is running behind on things, but being blatently ignored is unacceptable to us and we WILL speak up.

If we are given good service, we will leave a very nice tip, generally in the 20-30% range and if the service is exceptional, we tip more like 50%. We reward good service.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I will forgive service staff pretty much anything short of outright rudeness if I can see that the restaurant or the server is very busy. I bartended for years and I know what a tough job serving is (said from my cushy office job.) But if I count 6 tables occupied, 3 servers, and I have to watch you flirting with a hostess when I've had an empty drink for ten minutes...hell no. I never punish service staff for bad food either, or even wrong food (unless it's obviously visually wrong and the server brought it personally) unless the server doesn't try to make it right. I know how bad managers and stupid corporate policies and a bad kitchen can be, so I really try to only punish servers for stuff I know is within their power. A good attitude goes a long way with me.

I'm pickier with fine dining, but honestly, I very rarely get bad service anywhere because I try to treat people well, and servers usually try harder with nice tables.

I have had some deplorable food, but I think that's what I deserve for eating at crappy low to mid range chains. No real horror stories, though.

Our favourite restaurant, though, is a little neighbourhood sushi place where the service is slow, practically absent at times, and the food is great. We tip well anyway in exchange for the best table in the place and getting to skip the line when it's busy because they know and like us. Never having to wait and eating fantastic food is worth it.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I've had the occasional waiter or waitress who never comes by to refill drinks, have walked out of two different restaurants because no one came to wait on us for 5+ minutes after we were seated, and maybe once or twice had an order completely screwed up. I usually leave 15-20% on the taxed bill (so apparently higher than I should anyway) but I know I have at least once left zero tip. I don't remember exactly why it was so bad, but it takes a LOT to piss me off in a restaurant so it must have been pretty horrible. About six months ago my bf and I went to this kitbar that we really like (basically a bar that is also an open kitchen and the bartenders make your food), and about halfway through our appetizer we had the unpleasant experience of seeing a roach scuttle across the food prep counter two feet in front of us. We informed our bartender when he came back over, I ate about half of my dinner (only because it had been prepared in another area), and even though they comped us a round of drinks and our entrees (I tipped the kid very well also) I will never go back. It is unfortunate because they have delicious food and creative beverages, but even now the thought of eating there brings up the image of that roach running around and makes me gag a bit.

Roaches are the least of your worries in a kitchen. If the food is good I'd still go, but get it to go from then on out.
  • MisChef
    MisChef Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    **I DO THIS** for my In-Home Fine Dining events!

I have a remote doorbell button, and the chime part plugs in, in the kitchen. I put the remote under the host's plate, and tell him that "I want to give them their privacy" during the meal.

That's code for "i'm going to stay in the kitchen, and finish cooking or cleaning, until you call me, so I don't have to keep checking up on you every 5 minutes."

The first time they ring the doorbell, everything's silent, followed by a big laugh when they hear the DING... but after that, it's no big deal. EVERYONE says that they wish they did something like that in a restaurant!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I was pregnant and wanted a baked potato but all they had was mashed potatoes. Just not the same...
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I once thought that if each table came equipped with a call button (like on an airplane), it would resolve quite a few service problems.

Here in Japan most places have this.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Wait, I thought america was supposed to have great service?

That's right. It's great. WITH NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Wait, I thought america was supposed to have great service?

That's right. It's great. WITH NO EXCEPTIONS.

Are you telling me my whole life has been a lie? I feel so betrayed...
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me , a lot of servers believe in stereotyping so that translate into them giving bad service because their preconceive notions of who is going to tip and who is not going to tip. So they cheat themselves out of tips for their attitude.

I always tip even if the service was bad , but now I know that some states have laws that stipulate that if the server does not at least make federal minimum wage on tips the owner has to pay the server the difference. So next time the server is extremely rude , I'm going to reconsider my stance in always tipping .
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I tip fair, and frequently overtip and frequent the same dozen places. 9 times out of 10 the server knows me, or another server gives them a heads up. I get great service everywhere I go.

Another thing I do that saves me some money. I always figure a tip is 20% as a base, and usually add to that. Inform the server after you eat, before the bill you would like to know if there are any specials. If there are, you will split the savings and add it to their tip. They usually find some way to cut some bucks off the bill. Give them 20% and add half of the savings,. You still spent less than normal and they will bust their *kitten* to take care of you. Especially if there is something in it for them.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lots of places put Margherita Pizza on their menu, but when they bring it out, it's obvious that they have no idea what that means.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    **I DO THIS** for my In-Home Fine Dining events!

I have a remote doorbell button, and the chime part plugs in, in the kitchen. I put the remote under the host's plate, and tell him that "I want to give them their privacy" during the meal.

That's code for "i'm going to stay in the kitchen, and finish cooking or cleaning, until you call me, so I don't have to keep checking up on you every 5 minutes."

The first time they ring the doorbell, everything's silent, followed by a big laugh when they hear the DING... but after that, it's no big deal. EVERYONE says that they wish they did something like that in a restaurant!

That's brilliant! I usually just peek around the corner, but I like this much better. (I did have one couple with a tiny silver bell...it was nice not having to keep checking, but on the other hand it was a bit 1800's for my taste...the doorbell has a bit more humor to it, espcially if I can find one with an amusing ringtone!)

And I agree with another post above me (somewhere)...I actually appreciate it when someone brings subpar food or service to my attention. I can't fix it if I don't know what is going on. I would rather try to fix it on the spot (when the employee in question is on the premises) than try to unravel an online review after the fact and figure out who was serving, who was cooking, who else was on the schedule, etc.
  • ihammen
    ihammen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go out to eat a lot. One place we don't go to anymore is Texas Roadhouse. We could never get our starter together. I would always order the chili, and my husband the salad. Sometimes there would be a 20 minute difference there, so one of us was always watching the othere eat. The final straw was the last time we went, and I ordered a margarita on the rocks. The first one was so light it was almost clear, and had no taste. When I told the waitress, she brought me another that was almost the same way, maybe a little more color. When she asked how it was, I told her the same. Her reply: Maybe you've built up a tolerance to them". It's not like I drink margaritas on a nightly basis or that I'm an alcoholic.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I went to an Waffle House in South Carolina with my grandmother one time and we sat there for 15 minutes without a single person coming up to us to take our order. It was pretty obvious we weren't welcome so we left. It was pretty awkward.

Other than that the worst dining experience I've had was at a Chinese Buffet when I got back to my table and saw the lady who went through just before me outside vomiting right in front of the window. :sick:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I went to an Waffle House in South Carolina with my grandmother one time and we sat there for 15 minutes without a single person coming up to us to take our order. It was pretty obvious we weren't welcome so we left. It was pretty awkward.

Other than that the worst dining experience I've had was at a Chinese Buffet when I got back to my table and saw the lady who went through just before me outside vomiting right in front of the window. :sick:

Here in Dallas, Waffle House is really really low end. I wouldn't be surprised by bad service. But that Chinese Buffet thing is just scary.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Oh, jeez...This is EXACTLY what I tell my staff: one satisfied guest might tell another person or two, but a dissatisfied one will tell at least ten...and in the world of easy-access social media, those ten turn into the world.

As a food service professional, I am sorry so many of you have had bad experiences, and I have to say there are a great many who DO take a great deal of pride in what they have chosen to do for a living. But, most people think food service is an easy way to earn a paycheck and they do it to collect a check and not much more. I feel food service professionals need to really have a desire to serve the public, otherwise they aren't going to make it, and we are going to have a problem in the future with a guest.

I bartend during Derby season, and we have a lot of parties and galas during those three weeks. We host celebrities, internationals, and locals...I am in my late-ish 30s, and my well-mate is about the same age. At the end of one night, we made more in tips than some really cute early 20s chicks. We overheard them demanding to know why we "fat, old, b****es" got more than they did. We never once asked for or mentioned tips with the guests...and we flirted with everyone...men, women, old, young...(not sexually, but compliments on their clothing or eyes, or choice of date...and with a couple ALWAYS flirt with the girl! The guy will look at her with new appreciation and the tips get bigger as a result). They only flirted with the young, rich and good looking.

I bet you're amazing at your job :)

Wld be great if you taught those greek dudes how to give a darn. I think they'd have been just as happy being crappy mechanics. Probably just had a grandfather luck into the property and went with it because they were too lazy to figure something else out.

fyi, i did still tip, bc no it wasn't the server's fault and they've gotta live in a cold world too. HOWEVER I will never ever ever ever go there again, because my money = my life and time, too.