What is this unit of measurement?

Options
This morning I was logging my breakfast, which included 90 grams of strawberries. I chose the first verified entry on here and chose '1 g' as the unit, and filled in 90. It came back with over 2000 calories for like 4 strawberries! I was able to get the correct count by choosing '100g' as the unit and entering .9 into the box, but what is that other one? Is that a different unit of measurement that I'm not familiar with?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    This morning I was logging my breakfast, which included 90 grams of strawberries. I chose the first verified entry on here and chose '1 g' as the unit, and filled in 90. It came back with over 2000 calories for like 4 strawberries! I was able to get the correct count by choosing '100g' as the unit and entering .9 into the box, but what is that other one? Is that a different unit of measurement that I'm not familiar with?

Verified doesn't necessarily mean it's correct sadly. It just means several people have clicked the "is this correct?" button. Database entries are user entered so worth verifying yourself against nutrition info on packet or on USDA website if it's fresh produce.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Verified doesn't necessarily mean it's correct sadly. It just means several people have clicked the "is this correct?" button. Database entries are user entered so worth verifying yourself against nutrition info on packet or on USDA website if it's fresh produce.

Yes, I do this--the .9 of 100g lined up with what it should have been. But does that mean that several people think that less than 100g of strawberries equal over 2000 calories??
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options

Yes, I do this--the .9 of 100g lined up with what it should have been. But does that mean that several people think that less than 100g of strawberries equal over 2000 calories??

Could just have been a packaging calculation error way back that hasn't been corrected, you can edit any incorrect entries, might just be that it only corrected the 100g option.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Very large strawberries? About 1 kg each?
  • Leahmosa
    Leahmosa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1 gallon? Strawberries are usually sold in pints (square pack) and quarts (rectangular pack). So, would it be calculating 4 quarts of strawberries to get that 2000 number? Don’t know if strawberries follow the same measurement rules as liquid?? *totally guessing over here*
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Leahmosa wrote: »
    1 gallon? Strawberries are usually sold in pints (square pack) and quarts (rectangular pack). So, would it be calculating 4 quarts of strawberries to get that 2000 number? Don’t know if strawberries follow the same measurement rules as liquid?? *totally guessing over here*

No, just a simple coding error. They used to be right until there was a site update in around 2013-ish. It is only admin-entered/USDA-sourced entries, as far as I can tell.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that this seems to be a bug with a lot of the non-standard sizes. Meaning that whatever if your base amount (100 grams, 1 tablespoon, 1 cup, etc) will work fine, but whenever you try to change it to another unit of measurement besides what the default unit is, all craziness breaks lose and you end up with some ridiculous calorie number. I'd work on percentage serving sizes of whatever the default amount is.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

No, just a simple coding error. They used to be right until there was a site update in around 2013-ish. It is only admin-entered/USDA-sourced entries, as far as I can tell.

If only they were owned by a multi billion dollar company who could fix things like this.

:lol: It keeps us logged in and talking. So....$$$Ad Revenue.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Yes, there is a coding error on some admin-entered/USDA-sourced entries that makes some 1 gram entries erroneously give the value for 100 grams.

I used to report things like this to Support but the interaction was so frustrating that I gave up. It's really easy for me to spot it when it happens but I would have liked to be able to help clean up the database for others.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Also, Nutrition Info has gone screwy on the desktop web version for some of us and no longer gives a true preview of the food's entry in the database.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Also, Nutrition Info has gone screwy on the desktop web version for some of us and no longer gives a true preview of the food's entry in the database.

Yes >.<
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes >.<

If I was new to MFP this January and so didn't have a library of saved foods, I would've quit. It needs to be fixed!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options

Oh how fun! A new level of adventure in logging.

Good grief.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

If only they were owned by a multi billion dollar company who could fix things like this.

Ha, speak for yourself! I keep getting kicked out of the app - "MFP has stopped. Re-open?". Right in the middle of logging calories or typing a comment. :(

Mine has been like that for over a year. They are working on it....

I have found if I delete my progress pics, that helps about 30% of the time. If I can get my weight tab to load so I can delete them that is.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Ha, speak for yourself! I keep getting kicked out of the app - "MFP has stopped. Re-open?". Right in the middle of logging calories or typing a comment. :(

Mine has been like that for over a year. They are working on it....

I have found if I delete my progress pics, that helps about 30% of the time. If I can get my weight tab to load so I can delete them that is.

Maybe delete from desktop?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

When there are multiple options for serving size in a drop down menu (I've seen entries with as many as a dozen serving options), I doubt most people are checking the data for all the serving sizes. A lot of them got messed up or generated in error during an overhaul some years back in what looked like an attempt by MFP to ensure that entries had both metric and imperial options, and both 1 g and 100 gram options for entries with weight measurements.