Preparing for Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Options
I have a Facebook weight loss support group that I started last month and I posted this status a few days ago on there and people have been telling me how much it's inspired them and I wanted to share it on here.

I have been doing some reflecting lately. You know there are a lot of things I’m going to miss after I have my gastric sleeve surgery (which is scheduled on March 11th!!) I’m gonna miss bread (mainly Texas Roadhouse rolls!!), I’m gonna miss going out to eat to Chinese buffet. I’m going to miss all the great food at Christmas and Thanksgiving and summer cookouts with family and friends. I know there are going to be some foods that I can never have again and then some I can have after several months if my new stomach tolerates them.

But with all that I will be giving up, you know what I’m not going to miss? I’m not going to miss getting winded every time I walk up or down stairs! I’m not going to miss having to grab my pants leg to hoist my leg up so I can put socks and shoes on! I’m not going to miss not being able to cross my legs! I’m not going to miss having to take a handful of pills everyday! I’m not going to miss the stares and snickers of people who make fun of me for my weight! I’m not going to miss shopping in the plus size section of the store! I’m not going to miss the feeling of riding on the back of my husbands Harley and feeling like a fat slob! I'm not going to miss being too fat for some bathroom stalls! I’m not going to miss getting out of breath just bending over to tie my shoes. I’m not going to miss waking into a gym and feeling out of place! I’m not going to miss coming in last walking in 5k's! I’m not going to miss being to big to fit on some of the rides at amusement parks!! I’m not going to miss not being able to do certain things because I’m too fat! I’m not going to miss being afraid to do new things because of my size!

What am I looking forward to? Shopping in the regular size section of stores and being able to shop in any store and not have to search for the plus size section! I’m looking forward to being a HOT Harley Momma on the back of my husbands Harley! I’m looking forward to being able to bend over and tie my shoes and being able to paint my own toe nails! I’m looking forward to being healthy and not have to take a bunch of pills everyday! I'm looking forward to being able to cross my legs! I’m looking forward to being able to get in the floor and play with my grandson and be able to chase and play with him as he grows! I’m looking forward to being a success story and being able to encourage and motivate and empower others to be the best that they can be and if one person can look at me and be encouraged to not give up then it will all be worth it!!!!

Replies

• mindfullyonthepath
    mindfullyonthepath Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you. I look forward to updates! I'll be sleeved in July.
  • djgarcia57337
    djgarcia57337 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been cleared for sleeve aswell, need support people. Is there a group on here
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    All of you must have made a huge, life changing decision. May I ask - is your suggested operations reversible? And long term - I mean really, really long term - a change in life style has to happen at some point in terms of exercise calorie consumption / portion control / eating habits / etc. I can only use my own experience (500 days with MFP, started on 170 kg - 375 pounds, so far lost just over 40 kg, - 90 pounds): Psychological health comes first - in my case years of child abuse, much later our dear son George Paul died shortly after birth followed by about 20 years of deep depression - those dark days are now slowly behind me and I am concentrating on a healthier life style. I have recognized my "trigger foods" and I am learning to stay away from them and replacing them with something healthier. Stay with MFP and all those supportive members - an invaluable help during good and bed days.