Calorie dense foods please :)

Options
Hi all, know there's a few threads on this out there but couldn't find them... looking for a list of calorie dense foods, my mum is losing a lot of weight through illness so am trying get her foods that are: calorie & nutrient dense, vegetarian, easy to eat & little to no hassle to prepare... So far it's peanut butter/ other nut butters (whole nuts are out unfortunately), avocado, ff yoghurts, chocolate (ok not so nutrient dense but - chocolate! :) ).... any suggestions? Thanks all :)

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Here is the list. I will say step 1 for me would be to stop using anything "low fat" and switch to full fat. Yogurt, milk, whatever.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Here is the list. I will say step 1 for me would be to stop using anything "low fat" and switch to full fat. Yogurt, milk, whatever.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

My guess on the FF yogurt is that it's often all you can find in flavored. 1 alternative would be to buy an assortment of jam/preserves/jelly to add to the full fat yogurt (generally only available in plain & a full size tub).

Nutella and/or chocolate spread.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    firlena227 wrote: »
    Thanks guys :)

Good luck! And I hope you'll come back and post ideas you find along the way that help you in the Calorie Dense Foods thread. More ideas are always welcome :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    When I worked in long term care, fat and sugar.... works like a charm. I'd she can handle butter, oil, nut butters go down easy. Ensure is high in fat, carbs, with some protein. The elderly actually have higher protein needs. They are nor able to process the amino acids and digest it as well.
  • firlena227
    Options
    Thank you... although she's only 65 so would probably take exception to being called elderly! 😊😊 but yes we're trying to keep up the protein as well, she was extremely fit until very recently so still has quite a bit of muscle mass. Can't believe I hadn't thought of ice cream yet!! That's going to the top of the list along with alllll the cheese!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Make sure all her drinks include calories. If she doesn't like sweet, maltodextrin powder adds calories without adding sweetness and it can be added to hot drinks (don't try it in mashed potatoes. The result is icky at bests :tongue: )

Also, full fat cream and cheese into soups, sauces and mashed potatoes. Butter over veggies. Smoothies with full fat cream and protein powder.

Careful using protein powders in hot dishes. It tends to clump together. If it your mother has any trouble with swallowing due to her illness, those clumps my cause her to inhale into her lungs on accident.
  • firlena227
    Options
    Thank you for the tips... protein powder & cream in smoothes is definitely a winner as she has a smoothie every day anyway but just fruit/veg... I'll be pimping those smoothies!!!😂
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips... protein powder & cream in smoothes is definitely a winner as she has a smoothie every day anyway but just fruit/veg... I'll be pimping those smoothies!!!😂

Awesome! Start with small amounts and increase slowly. Too much at once might change the taste too much for her liking and too sudden of a fat increase can lead to diarrhea.

My suggestion: 10-20g of Protein powder and 30-45 ml of cream (2-3 tablespoons) to start with. It might not seem like much, but if you go to suddenly, the risk might be that she won't drink the smoothie anymore.

Those two things added will provide 40-80 kcal from the protein powder (+ 10-20 g protein) and between 100 - 150kcal from the cream (depending on fat content)

If you then add ice cream as a snack, you should already have gotten a nice amount of calories into her :smiley:
  • firlena227
    Options
    Thank you, that's really helpful :)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You can go to the local convenience store every day and get her a chocolate malt with real vanilla ice cream. Large. 810 Calories. Nutrients don't mean anything at this point. Give her a vitamin pill.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »

My guess on the FF yogurt is that it's often all you can find in flavored. 1 alternative would be to buy an assortment of jam/preserves/jelly to add to the full fat yogurt (generally only available in plain & a full size tub).

Nutella and/or chocolate spread.

FF = Fat Free?

FF = Full Fat?

I just assumed OP meant Full Fat, given the context.
  • firlena227
    Options
    Hi Ann :) yes indeed I meant FF = full fat, actually hadn't occurred to me that it could also be read as fat free! Oops! Given the context though I'd be a bit of a doughnut to be going for fat free over full fat 😊

"You can go to the local convenience store every day and get her a chocolate malt with real vanilla ice cream. Large. 810 Calories" Sadly where we are (tiny village in England) a convenience store with or without chocolate malt is non existent (probably just as well or I'd be the size of a house!) But cramming cals into drinks is definitely doable, hence I'll be pimping up those smoothies!😊
  • whitej1234
    whitej1234 Posts: 263 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I would also suggest tahini. A great spread or on salad. You can have the classical version of mixing it with garlic lemon juice salt and pepper and water at whatever ratio you like, or the sweet version of mixing it with honey and a bit of water.

Another option is frying on butter and not vegetable oil (if you don't already).

Nuts can also be powdered into a shake/salad/crust.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    soak oats overnight in milk or water before you eat add peanut butter, honey, banana and blended add more milk to make shake. add mix seeds to yogurt
  • firlena227
    Options
    Thanks guys... ooh tahini makes me think of halva too, that's gotta be pretty caloriffic.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    When my daughter needed to gain and had trouble eating shakes, smoothies or whole milk with Carnation Breakfaat Essential powder mixed in was easier.
    We would blend up a banana with milk, a bit of sugar, a bit of cinnamon and vanilla.
    A chocolate, bannana, peanut butter smoothie or shake was very calorie dense.

• whitej1234
    whitej1234 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys... ooh tahini makes me think of halva too, that's gotta be pretty caloriffic.

Halva is very resembling Tahini with Honey (Just a bunch more sugar in the prepared one so you might want to go with this combination to keep it relatively home made).