Options
1235»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    tangent836 wrote: »
    tangent836 wrote: »
    Roberta H. Anding is a professor at the Baylor College of Medicine and a registered dietitian. She says that the less processed something is, the better it is for you.

But that doesn't necessarily make sense. You need more sodium, right? So if a processed item has more sodium, then it's actually better for you currently, right?

Possibly. I'm looking for the optimal solution. I want to consume the correct amount of sodium daily while avoiding processed food. Can't I have the best of both worlds? :)

Other than seafood (plants, crustaceans, and mollusks, mainly), I don't think there are any unprocessed foods with high levels of sodium. And I don't recommend going to the beach and eating whatever plants wash up. Unless you live alone in some remote part of the world, commercially harvested and processed sea weed is going to be a lot healthier than what you pick up on the shore (given the state of pollution of most ocean waters in populated areas).

Turkey

I guess everyone's perception of what is a significant amount of sodium is different, but at 86 mg of sodium per 3 oz serving of roasted turkey meat, I wouldn't consider it an efficient way to boost my sodium intake. (I assume high sodium deli turkey meat isn't on the table for someone who considers table salt too processed.)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Claims for health benefits of Himalayan sea salt are mostly bunk:
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/pink-himalayan-sea-salt-an-update/

Plus it's a non-renewable resource. Additionally, for those of us not near Pakistan (where it is mined) it has to be shipped quite some way, unlike other salts which are equally as advantageous.

Just had an awful mental image of the Himalayas being strip-mined for salt.