Weight training advice

Options
Hey!

Im hoping for some advice and tips on how to start building some muscle. I've been doing alot of walking and cycling but would like to start building some muscle.

Just a little background.

I'm 220 pounds and 165cm.

I have bad knees due to reduced cartilage in my knees due to a bone infection when I was younger . This also affects my hips. I also suffer with ulcerative colitis, which can mean I have a painful stomach. So would prefer not to focus on this area at the minute.

I'm too young for a knee replacement but I know weight loss will have a huge improvement on my pain level.

I'm looking for some low impact exercises to build some muscle.

Any advice welcome :)

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Given your medical conditions I would advise you to talk to you doctor about what would be suitable, and get a referral to a PT.

If that isn’t possible, look at doing a yoga or Pilates class to begin with, or maybe follow the Nerdfitness bodyweight routine. There is also a good introductory beginners programme by Hasfit. (Light weights, but will teach you form).

You can also check out the ‘which lifting programme is best for you’ in the ‘gaining....’ sub-forum.

Cheers, h.
  • emilyk12342019
    emilyk12342019 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Given your medical conditions I would advise you to talk to you doctor about what would be suitable, and get a referral to a PT.

If that isn’t possible, look at doing a yoga or Pilates class to begin with, or maybe follow the Nerdfitness bodyweight routine. There is also a good introductory beginners programme by Hasfit. (Light weights, but will teach you form).

You can also check out the ‘which lifting programme is best for you’ in the ‘gaining....’ sub-forum.

Cheers, h.

Thank you for the information! Very helpful. Sadly I can't afford a PT but I will have a look at the other information you have provided:)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want to do only upper body? No knees, hips, or abs?
    Maybe try starting with yoga to get your body used to moving for a couple months, then go from there. Water aerobics would be a good option too.
  • emilyk12342019
    emilyk12342019 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It sounds like you want to do only upper body? No knees, hips, or abs?
    Maybe try starting with yoga to get your body used to moving for a couple months, then go from there. Water aerobics would be a good option too.

Water aerobics is a good idea. I will have a look x