UK people - supermarket choices.

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    In our neighbourhood (Shoreditch) our supermarkets from closest to the furthest are Sainsbury, Iceland, Coop, Tesco, Waitrose. Iceland is outrageously cheap for factory food like non free range chicken and eggs, and frozen veg. Fresh produce selection is cheap but limited. We actually get fruit and veg from a local green grocer who is terrific.
  • HLSalter
    HLSalter Posts: 260
    Options
    Either Tesco or Asda for me. I usually do my shopping online though to make sure I only buy healthy stuff. It's easy to justify buying junk food if it's on offer in the shop :)
  • Gel_W
    Gel_W Posts: 20
    Options
    I shop at Tesco & always online to save temptation.

Although, I get my fruit & veg delivered weekly from a fantastic couple who own a marketstall. They decided to start delivering fruit & veg to peoples doors - and because they go directly to wholesalers it lasts for so much longer than any supermarket food.

Maybe do a search & see if you have one in your area? I get £20 fruit salad & veg one and it's so much value for money.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I buy as much as I can from Aldi. I tend to buy around their offers, particularly the fruit and veg 69ps, and change my menu's accordingly. Then I top up - quinoa etc - at Asda.
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    We use Aldi for the majority and then Tesco for goat's milk and other items that Aldi don't carry. The fruit & veg is usually considerably cheaper at Aldi but, as others have said, the range is limited. Interestingly, it's cheaper than the local market.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I get my Asda shop online as the delivery charge is same as any bus fare I'd have to pay. I then walk to Aldi for fresh produce and a few other things.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Price-wise, Asda are probably best for value, unfortunately I don't have one near me.

But choice-wise for healthy food, Morrisons, hands-down. And fairly good value too. I love their fresh fruit, veg, fish and seafood, and their NUME range is amazing. I also shop in Lidl, again very good value, and great fresh fruit and veg. Love their continental choices and they do great yogurt, low fat cheese, and basics like pasta and cereals.

I'm not keen on Tesco for fresh things like fruit, and their pricing structure makes no sense, I don't find them especially good value at times, they have an amazing range of junk food though :/

Sainsbury's - I have shopped there a handful of times, I find them expensive, and have an uninspiring range of food.

So, Morrisons and Lidl it is for me.
  • JustSammi
    Options
    I like Asda and Morrissons although there's not a Morrisons near me anymore.

I think Asda is really good value for money, I always bulk buy their 3 packs of meat for £10 offers. I've always got like 20 chicken breasts in my freezer. :laugh:
  • Fitnessisforlife123
    Options
    I shop at tesco , but that could just be used to it
  • slatts75
    slatts75 Posts: 32
    Options
    I mostly shop at Aldi and anything I can't get there I get at Morrissons as it's right next door (lucky me). Lidl do large bags of onions and massive bags of basmati rice for next to nothing.

I have to say in my experience of buying chicken portions from Aldi, it never lasts till it's sell-by date and I've taken several packs back due to this (even after getting a new fridge). The cheapest way I have bought meat and fish is from the market (Bury and Bolton aren't too far away from where I live and both have really great large markets) - it's a bit of a trek, but I go once every couple of months and can fill the freezer for a fraction of what I would pay in the supermarket and much better quality/flavour IMO.

My local market is cheapest for veg and fresh herbs.
  • hougt
    hougt Posts: 1,088
    Options
    I always get my chicken from Costco if you have a card/know anyone with one. Last tray cost me 12.50 for 11 decent sized breasts that are not pumped full of water like supermarket ones (George forman is a great test for how much runs out). I then bag them up in 2s or 3s and freeze
  • laurajayee
    Options
    I've food Aldi or Lidl, but often local greengrocers are the cheapest for buying individual items.
    So fair enough 4 peppers from Tesco are on offer for £1.50 or whatever, I never end up using 4 so buying 1 from the greengrocer is cheaper than buying 1 from a supermarket. I think think just depends on whether you have a cheap local greengrocer or an organic one which can end up being far more expensive.

Farm foods meat is often cheap and good quality, but you do need to buy large amounts to save the money.

Shop around in markets and local shops is what I'd suggest and avoid supermarkets where possible as they are often most expensive.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I shop at Tesco mainly as the car park and the trolleys are the best for me and my baby! (Morrisons only has a couple of baby trolleys and parking is awful!). I usually do 1 big monthly shop, then each week in my dinner hour from work I buy the fresh bits & bobs - I have started to do a weekly meal plan and only buy what we need (to try and save money & waste). So today I went to Marks & Spencer & Iceland and got milk, fruit, salad, bread etc.

I get my mince & chicken through my brother as he has a restaurant so gets local produce a good bit cheaper. (my OH is a sheep/pig farmer so we have lamb and pork already at home). So I guess we are very lucky with that stuff.

I sometimes go to Asda too, but end up spending more!
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just went to Tesco to buy some coffee and thought I'd have a look for deals. It's appalling. The "Value" shelves were packed with junk food - microwave burgers, cheesestrings, crisps, biscuits, confectionery, cheesecakes - all processed crap. The freezer sales section was the same - all deep fried, ice cream, etc. No fresh produce "sales" section, no wholefoods sales section. They proliferate obesity with no shame.

Still bought my coffee from there....
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's much between the major supermarkets. Where ever possible u try to support the local green grocer or buy at a farm shop, better produce and usually better value.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    For fruit, veg, herbs, spices, flour, sugar, pulses, cheese, bread, coffee, tea, stock cubes and spreads such as peanut butter and honey I always go to the market (I'm lucky that Norwich has a fabulous outdoor market 6 days per week) as the food is way cheaper, fresher and usually more local than I've found in any of the major supermarkets. Also, the fruit and veg in the market tend to be seasonal as well as local, so by shopping there I avoid the supermarket-pitfall of being tempted to buy asparagus in March or strawberries in December and then finding they've come all the way from New Zealand!

Pulses I always buy dry from the market, because that way they're dead cheap...spices too. I pay about a tenth of the price I'd pay for a can of pre-cooked pulses or a jar of Schwartz spices.

Milk I get from the milkman - it's more expensive than the supermarket, but I like the returnable bottles!

I also grow a lot of my own veg in growbags in the garden, and I have herbs and salad leaves growing in pots on all my windowsills, and a mushroom log in my airing cupboard. I have a tiny garden, but it's amazing how much veg I can fit into a small space.

For meat and fish I buy from my local farmer's market...the meat and fish are locally produced, and whilst they're not as cheap as the supermarket, I tend to buy less and make it go further by serving in casseroles and bakes etc.

Eggs I get organic free-range ones from the many houses and farms that sell them by their garden gates on my daily walks...I guess this may not be easy if you live in the city not the countryside...

That leaves groceries, such as cereals, washing powder etc..... for those I tend to shop at Sainsbury's because it's the closest supermarket to home. I'm not wedded to Sainsbury's though - I'd equally well shop at Morrisons, LIDL or Aldi...the only 2 supermarkets I won't use are Tesco and Asda, Tesco because I think it's on a campaign of world domination and Asda because it's part of the equally huge Walmart chain, and I don't like to play a part in increasing the profits of corporate giants!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Tesco for staples, Riverford Organics for fresh on a home delivery box scheme.

I'm uncomfortable with Lidl and Aldi after I was stayning with friends and salads were still crisp after having been open for a week.
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Shop mostly at Morrisons, they have weekly deals on Fruit and Veg that are usually pretty good, and so can always try something different every week. And they are the best at reducing items I find! We go on a Monday evening and get so much reduced stuff!! Recently got 4 Pork Steaks for 40p!!! Cottage cheese for 14p, and got loads of deli meats for 15p per 150g this week! Lovely...

Sometimes nip into Lidl, but never have everything I want for a weekly shop, and Tesco is closest so go there on occasion, but I just don't like tesco that much, don't know why...

Birmingham Market is the best though for meat and veg! If I could I would go there every Saturday and stock up for the week :)
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat an awful lot of fresh green leafy veg, bananas and strawberries. for me Aldi and Lidl beat the bigger supermarkets for price. I also notice that their veg seems to have a longer shelf life. However Asda for me is nearest so I use it.

I have discovered that my local high street greengrocer is 20% cheaper during summer months on quite a few items especially strawberries, raspberries and green veg. They are also much better looking veggies and fresher, so I have started dropping in there just before Asda and then getting what they cannot provide at Asda.
  • Jason3589
    Jason3589 Posts: 734
    Options
    tend to use aldi or lidi. If l use supermarkets l go for their value range, its just as good. I tend to get my fruit and veg from local shops or markets, far cheaper and not full of pesticides