Feeling Run Down after Meeting Goal Weight

Hi friends!

TLDR; I'm at my lowest adult weight ever, and I'm tired! Will this end, should I push through, should I add more calories? Should I add certain foods?

Soooo I'm happy to say that I got back on track about 2 weeks ago with logging food. I really wanted to start losing again in February (been stuck on 152-154 lbs foreeeevvvvvver)

Anyway, things just took off, I started logging my food, realized I had been eating a bit too much, and I dropped almost 5 pounds in 10 days. and the next pound within the last 4 days. Whoa.

This is the 1st time I've ever been at this weight (147 lbs) in my adult life, and I'm sort of surprised that I even dropped below 153 as that's my happy weight and I've almost never gone below 150.

Anyway, this past week, I'm exhausted! I haven't even bothered going to the gym, my body is so tired. Mentally, I'm fine. Just feeling sore and less energetic.

I'm eating basically the same stuff (lots of veggies, olive oil, cook at home, some meat) just smaller portions, and I eat back all my exercise calories, because they taste delicious :P

I'm around 1800 calories a day set to lose 1.5 pounds a week as per MFP. I exercise/do long runs 4-5 times a week. This week I've done nothing, just standing at work.

So my question: will I be tired forever?! hahaha

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Replies

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Depending on your height your may be able to add in some extra calories and shoot for 1 pound per week loss. Another thing to look at if 1.5 per week is still appropriate and not too aggressive for you is complex carbs. Swap out a veggie for some sweet potato a couple times over the next week and see if that helps.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    If you are exhausted (and not coming down with a bug of some sort), my guess is that your deficit is too steep and your body is malnourished. Also look at hydration and electrolyte balance.
  • kattbigs
    kattbigs Posts: 28 Member
    I should have mentioned more, I have multiple goal weights, this being my lowest weight I've experienced in my adult life. I'd like to continue to lose 10 to 15 pounds in the future. I wasn't expecting to reach my first GW until early March at the MFP rates of 1.5 lbs a week.
  • kattbigs
    Sounds like you just need a bit of time at maintenance?

What's your goal weight if you're still eating at a massive deficit?

end goal weight is 135.

Funny, I'd never considered a pound and a half too much of a deficit, but at the rate I'm going maybe adding the calories back in would balance me out.
  • kattbigs
    skram01 wrote: »
    Depending on your height your may be able to add in some extra calories and shoot for 1 pound per week loss. Another thing to look at if 1.5 per week is still appropriate and not too aggressive for you is complex carbs. Swap out a veggie for some sweet potato a couple times over the next week and see if that helps.

very true. Hadn't considered complex carbs! I'm little at 5 4 but I've been more focused on strength over pure dieting now more than I've been in the past and maybe my body just needs to go a bit slower, thanks for the insight!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    OP - also focus on your nutrients. Are you getting adequate protein? Water? Sleep? I was feeling VERY run down in December and checked my levels of magnesium, iron, zinc and vitamin D — all were low. Focused on eating foods that were high in these nutrients and felt better within a week.
  • kattbigs
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kattbigs wrote: »
    Sounds like you just need a bit of time at maintenance?

What's your goal weight if you're still eating at a massive deficit?

end goal weight is 135.

Funny, I'd never considered a pound and a half too much of a deficit, but at the rate I'm going maybe adding the calories back in would balance me out.

Yes, shows like The Biggest Loser have skewed our perceptions about what a realistic rate of loss is. Do change your weekly weight loss goal to a half pound per week.

What percentage of the calories you earn from exercise do you eat back?

I always eat all my calories back! Not getting crazy here haha yeah I feel like if it's not something I can push through, I should probably just up my calories and see how it goes.
  • kattbigs
    nowine4me wrote: »
    OP - also focus on your nutrients. Are you getting adequate protein? Water? Sleep? I was feeling VERY run down in December and checked my levels of magnesium, iron, zinc and vitamin D — all were low. Focused on eating foods that were high in these nutrients and felt better within a week.

That's very helpful thanks, I don't feel hungry or gripey, just an overall decline in energy, could definitely use more Vitamin D and sun in my life! I may try to add more foods that help in these levels.

I am also going to try adjusting my levels of fat and protein (I used to do very well on paleo/primal eating, but it wasn't something I could do all the time due to travel) and lowered my carbs slightly to balance it out, thanks for your help!
  • kattbigs
    So the past two days I've added 200 calories a day for standing all day at work, switched some to more complex carbs via a big pumpkin and lentil stew (yum!) altered my macros and focused on certain leafy greens for extra vitamins.
    Gotta say, this morning and yesterday I'm less tired and feeling good! I feel like I was slacking after running, just stuffing my face with some bread or rice to fill in the calories, not drinking those last couple cups of water.
    Thanks to everyone for their insight, I hope I can continue a better balance moving forward.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    yeah.. when I was looking good at my goal weight.. I started getting sick.. even got an eye infection that wouldn't go away.. I started thinking.. "is my body more healthy at a heavier weight?" But, being tired is a sign of under eating... you may want to add more lean portions and a lot of vegetables ...maybe slow down your weight loss to lose slowly.. like. a .5 pound every week or two. Feeling lousy just isn't worth it.