I stepped on a nail

Options
Was doing some renovating and stepped on a paneling board that had a long finishing nail in it. It went through my shoe and WAY up into my foot.

I'm Really bummed. This was last night. Its by the ball of my foot, so i can walk on the outside of my foot, but now my ankle is super sore.

Anyone have a guess how long until i can do some long slow distance runs ?

Is it best to walk as i can, or do you think i should immobilize it for a few days ?

I am training for a 15k on march 30th.

Replies

• Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    ^^ no i have recent tetanus because of my work.

It only bled like a teaspoon. but it feels crazy bruised. Didn't seem "redimed" level of injury
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Adding... just saw you said your tetanus is up to date. Still, at least call a doctor because puncture wounds to the joints can push germs deep into the internal structures like the bursae capsules for example where it becomes a really bad infection that is difficult for the body to handle on its own. Take care and speedy recovery :)
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    ^^ no i have recent tetanus because of my work.

It only bled like a teaspoon. but it feels crazy bruised. Didn't seem "redimed" level of injury

how deep the nail went in is another question.. bruising may be a sign of infection... Go see a doc..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ouchy. I'd get a doctor to check it out if it was a long nail.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Went in more than a half inch, less than an inch.

I was hoping to get a bunch of "man up, you'll be fine in 2 days" comments.

Maybe not what i wanted to hear, but likely what i needed to hear. Ill leave a msg for my dr.

Nobody going to take your man card for trying to be safe than sorry.

I got my fair share of nail injuries/cuts.. but you asked if you can run on an injured foot.. well.. common sense you either let it heal first or make it worst.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Maybe not what i wanted to hear, but likely what i needed to hear. Ill leave a msg for my dr.

Not the healthiest of wishes, or the most responsible. But yeah - go ahead with your plans on calling your doctor.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    https://www.foothealthfacts.org/conditions/puncture-wounds

I really wanted to play Devil's Advocate and tell you that it'll probably be fine. I can't convince myself that it's a responsible position to take. I hope you're back to running soon.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do not play devils advocate with things that have the potential to kill you, ie tetanus.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My father in law was up-to-date with his tetanus shot. He fell over, grazing his knee really really badly. My MIL was pushing him to go see a doctor and get a booster. He refused. Guess what happened next? He got tetanus. Had he gone to the doctor, he would have a booster and would have been ok.

Go to the doctor....
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Be careful about walking on one side of your foot, you will very likely cause more aches and pains with the alteration. Go as gently as you can with a normal gait.
  • meritage5
    meritage5 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    meanwhile try some biking. With the weight off your foot it is easier than running and you can get your heart rate up!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options

Man up dude, and see your doctor! Happy :D ?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    So I went to my Dr... didn't see him but saw one of the physician's assistants.

She said since my tetanus was less than a year old, and it looks healed and bruised but not puffy, I am good to do whatever I "feel comfortable doing".

In super bummed as my training was going well, but in going to take a week and stay off it, and then aim for a jog and see how I feel

Glad you went and glad it's not too serious.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Puncture wounds through a shoe are worse than barefoot wounds because they can push bacteria from shoe soles into your foot, including Pseudomonas. I would get checked because you may need antibiotics.