Probably a dumb question but.....

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Why do you have to go high fat if you want to do low carb? I'm exploring low carb options (not keto) and they all seem to recommend higher fat than protein.

Curious why this is, and if there are eating plans that recommend protein>fat>carbs.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    It's looking for where the "fuel" to use for energy.. it's either in good fat or carb.

Protein...nutrients for your body.

• emmab0902
    Options
    My daily goal is only 1200 (for medical reasons re low metabolism) so I can easily get in a high proportion of protein. Will look up that diet mentioned. Wanting something sustainable and that will work for my competitive swimming training.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    What @Keto_Vampire said.

I'd add that it's s trade off and your options are only to focus one 2 macros and not 3. You cant put all your eggs in a basket but 2 you can. Kinda like a riddle. For instance if someone wanted to do low fat they would eat more carbs, think popular 90s diets.

Even the leanest meat, like chicken breast, has more fat than carbs.
  • emmab0902
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I think what puts me off high fat is that I like to eat good sized meals and fat is so calorie dense which = less quantity.

Right now I probably average a 40P 40C 20F split.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    I think what puts me off high fat is that I like to eat good sized meals and fat is so calorie dense which = less quantity.

I feel the same way. Fats are too calorie dense for their volume. I eat lower carb +/- 150 grams per day. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. If I fall too low, it affects my workout energy. I'm a little higher in fats in my split. More like 35/35/30.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options

There is no one right way to do things even though so many preach that there is. Do what works for you.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I feel the same way. Fats are too calorie dense for their volume. I eat lower carb +/- 150 grams per day. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. If I fall too low, it affects my workout energy. I'm a little higher in fats in my split. More like 35/35/30.

Yeah since switching to a more restricted amount of fat in my diet, I've compensated with higher carbs (~100-150g/day) keeping high protein. I will throw in a high fat day when feeling excessively lethargic/burnt out from dieting too hard roughly once a week (probably wouldn't need to if I upped carbohydrates slightly more).

Like yourself, I just can't justify using copious amounts of fat (volume trade off is not worth it)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

If this split works for you then why would you consider changing it? There is nothing inherently wrong or unhealthy with it, as long as you meet the minimum requirements for fat and protein.

Also, if you are swimming competitively, are you eating back your exercise calories burned? If not your performance level will tank because at only 1,200 calories you will not be getting the energy you need.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Also, if you are swimming competitively, are you eating back your exercise calories burned? If not your performance level will tank because at only 1,200 calories you will not be getting the energy you need.

My training doesn't burn excessive calories as I'm quite small build. I do allow for training but don't eat them all back. At 48 I'm still getting faster and just came away with 13 gold medals at the New Zealand Masters Games so I'm pretty sure my performance isn't being impaired lol.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

My training doesn't burn excessive calories as I'm quite small build. I do allow for training but don't eat them all back. At 48 I'm still getting faster and just came away with 13 gold medals at the New Zealand Masters Games so I'm pretty sure my performance isn't being impaired lol.

Congratulations on an outstanding result!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It tends to help with satiety, that is, not getting hungry as quickly.