Help breastfeeding and diet exercise

Options
Hi all I am at breaking point I have a 10 week old baby I am breastfeeding I started back doing a hour a day on a treadmill 10,000 steps a day eating 1500 cals a day my health visitor did not like the fact asked if I am over doing it and saying it will affect my milk ECT so for a week I have eaten and done nothing and my depression is kicking in because I am scared to walk to Much or eat to less any one else breastfeeding and working out sorry it's so long x

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I think the key is moderation. Yes, you can walk, especially if it makes you feel better mentally. Going down to 1500 calories was probably too far though when breastfeeding, going off what I remember of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding uses about 500 cals a day IIRC, so 1500- 500 cals for breastfeeding - exercise =too little.

Your body has been going through pretty major changes for the last nine months. You can't revert back to your pre-pregnancy self in a couple of months.

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You should not restrict at all in the first 12 weeks. Honestly. You need to focus on bonding with your baby.

Walking is fine, as long as you feel fine. That should help your mood. But I would not restrict calories AT ALL in those first 12 weeks. After 12 weeks, be careful. Making milk burns a TON of calories at that stage. You need to add 500 calories to your calculated calorie goals for breastfeeding a baby under 1, and 300 for babies over 1.

To put in perspective (I was overweight) I started losing at 2400 calories while breastfeeding. I didn't cut it down to 2100 until my loss plateaued. I never dipped below an average of 1800 (1,500 calories + 300 for milk production).

I'm maintaining on 2400 calories. My baby is over 18 months so is not completely dependent on breastmilk (like a 10 week old would be) and is growing a lot slower.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    You should not restrict at all in the first 12 weeks. Honestly. You need to focus on bonding with your baby.

Walking is fine, as long as you feel fine. That should help your mood. But I would not restrict calories AT ALL in those first 12 weeks. After 12 weeks, be careful. Making milk burns a TON of calories at that stage. You need to add 500 calories to your calculated calorie goals for breastfeeding a baby under 1, and 300 for babies over 1.

To put in perspective (I was overweight) I started losing at 2400 calories while breastfeeding. I didn't cut it down to 2100 until my loss plateaued. I never dipped below an average of 1800 (1,500 calories + 300 for milk production).

I'm maintaining on 2400 calories. My baby is over 18 months so is not completely dependent on breastmilk (like a 10 week old would be) and is growing a lot slower.

That. Also, if you're experiencing depression, please get help from your doctor.
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi Kirsty, congratulations on your baby! I'm also breastfeeding, my baby is 13 weeks now & I've literally only just started really going out for longer walks again this week (partly cos the weather's been so crap until this week!) I have been eating wayyyy over my normal calories & stayed about the same weight with no problems, so when I am ready to lose a little weight I will reduce it a bit but still be eating over my maintainance level by a couple of hundred cals.
    Do listen to the ladies above & to your health visitor (hopefully you've got a nice one :) ), & please be kind to yourself, looking after a tiny human 24/7 is tough!
  • dippy_duck
    dippy_duck Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Kirsty
    I’m breastfeeding my 9 month old and am eating 1800 calories a day plus my exercise calories (if i do any)! It’s so important to eat enough to protect your milk supply. You’re doing an amaZing thing breastfeeding your baby :-)
    I am currently losing weight eating 1800 which should be my maintenance calories so i’m just letting breastfeeding create my deficit.
    I’m also being a lot easier on myself than I normally would be. If i get really hungry then I eat and so be it with the calories. I’ve accepted it will take me a while to shift the weight but it will come off eventually.
    Having a new baby is not easy and if you need to speak to a doctor about how you’re feeling there is no shame in that. Sometimes just saying the words can take a huge weight off your mind. If you want to add me for support please feel free.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm currently EBF my 20 week old - and have been gradually dropping weight since week 8 (before that, didn't track and deliberately focussed just on keeping up the supply and being kind to ourselves).

Would agree that it's important not to drop calories too low (eating at your MFP calculated maintenance and letting feeding create a deficit is a good way to go).

However, I don't think that means stopping walking, if you're properly norished.

Something I found incredibly useful was picking up a cheap fabric carrier and walking a few hours each day outside with the baby.
    The carrier is like a big hug - the baby can snuggle in and hear your heartbeat - so it's a lovely way to bond (and encourage a nap or two on the go!).
    Plus getting out of the house and the activity are real mood boosters on tough days.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options

This. All this. And make sure you are getting enough calcium.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    kirsty27h1 wrote: »
    Hi all I am at breaking point I have a 10 week old baby I am breastfeeding I started back doing a hour a day on a treadmill 10,000 steps a day eating 1500 cals a day my health visitor did not like the fact asked if I am over doing it and saying it will affect my milk ECT so for a week I have eaten and done nothing and my depression is kicking in because I am scared to walk to Much or eat to less any one else breastfeeding and working out sorry it's so long x

Listen to your ob/gyn, not an Internet forum. I am sure you want your baby and yourself to be healthy. This is such a short time in your lives. There’s a time for everything. Enjoy the moments you, they pass swiftly.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There are lots of other resources you might not have come across yet could be a good additional source of advice, support and social contact (I'm guessing you're in the UK, as you mentioned health visitors?)

- Weighing clinics at your local children's centre not only check baby's weight is on track, but can give general medical advice. These are free and you drop-in without an appointment
    - Breastfeeding cafes offer general support and sometimes have access to dieticians (plus free tea/coffee!)
    - There's an NHS breastfeeding helpline giving expert advice and support
    - If you're linked to an NCT group, they have volunteer breastfeeding consultants you can meet with