Atkins diet - your views

Options

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ...I just think it must be next to impossible and boring to prepare a dinner without potatos pasta or rice....Altogether pointless and not much fun over a lifetime.

Well I think the important thing is this ^ may be true for YOU.

I have eaten very little potatoes, pasta, rice, bread the past 7 months ~ it's proven to NOT be at all impossible, nor even a bit boring (for *me*!). I eat delicious and satisfying meals every day, I do not feel in the least bit deprived or like I'm suffering "not much fun" ;). Mine is not a diet, it's my lifestyle change and I trust I can keep this up long-term.

For *me* these ^ type starches are not a good match. Though I totally believe when you say for *you* it would be boring and next to impossible.

BTW I happen to be making beef stew this week (despite it's not winter LOL) ~ and I plan to heartily enjoy it! Truth is I never liked the potatoes in it anyway (for *me* that part is boring) and I've always picked them out of mine portion.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I agree with you but its that early phase where most people fail.

It's funny how different people are -- I find the induction phase (or a generic ketogenic diet) to be much more easy to maintain than what the later phases would entail.
  • rosemaryhon
    Options

...stews arent a stew without potato, the potato thickens the stew...

This ^ is not true ~ I've been making delicious beef stew for decades and only rarely did I add potatoes (because as I said, I just so happen to find the boiled potatoes boring ~ I used to prefer my stew on noodles cooked separately).

As for chili and curry, I've never liked those dishes anyway (and I mean never! LOL)
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    It's funny how different people are -- I find the induction phase (or a generic ketogenic diet) to be much more easy to maintain than what the later phases would entail.

Yes, we are all different. What works for some may not work for others. Statistics will show that Adkins is not a long term solution for most.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    In my own personal opionion - way too restrictive for the long run.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Yes, we are all different. What works for some may not work for others. Statistics will show that Adkins is not a long term solution for most.

Statistics show that any diet plan is not a long term solution for most. That's, unfortunately, the nature of dieting.
  • rosemaryhon
    Options
    LOL @ people dying because they couldn't put potatoes in stew.

Wikipaedia the irish potato famine, the irish population lived on potatos and the chief dish was stew, whats to lol about?

They died of famine, not because they couldn't put potatoes in their stew. When you depend on potatoes as your sole source of nutrition and then you can't have any, you die. If you have meat to make stew and you can't put potatoes in it, you don't die.

Well Irish stew has potatos in it, if it doesnt have potatos its not irish stew, the irish ate potatos , the chief dish of which was irish stew and they died when the potato crop failed, so Im guessing their stews were more potato than meat , as for your "stews" of course you wont die from eating cooked meat without potato but then its not an irish stew go and google irish stew.

Oh honey, you should Google a lot more than stew. Hugs.
    is that your best response? really? pathetic...

Com'on, are you kidding? Seriously you must realize it wasn't because potatoes were missing from Irish beef/lamb stew that caused a deadly famine. It was because for hordes of Irish potatoes were their MAIN food source. Usually there'd be NO meat in their diet. From what I've read, the average Irishman's diet consisted of 5 lbs of potatoes and a quart of milk a day. Meat was a rarity usually served on Sunday.

If they'd have had beef stew without potatoes they would not have died.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

This ^ is not true ~ I've been making delicious beef stew for decades and only rarely did I add potatoes (because as I said, I just so happen to find the boiled potatoes boring ~ I used to prefer my stew on noodles cooked separately).

As for chili and curry, I've never liked those dishes anyway (and I mean never! LOL)

We made them with carrots and celery as well as meat. Stew is whatever the hell you want it to be, no Googling necessary. To say that people died because they couldn't add potatoes to one is totally asinine LOL
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Wikipaedia the irish potato famine, the irish population lived on potatos and the chief dish was stew, whats to lol about?

They died of famine, not because they couldn't put potatoes in their stew. When you depend on potatoes as your sole source of nutrition and then you can't have any, you die. If you have meat to make stew and you can't put potatoes in it, you don't die.

Well Irish stew has potatos in it, if it doesnt have potatos its not irish stew, the irish ate potatos , the chief dish of which was irish stew and they died when the potato crop failed, so Im guessing their stews were more potato than meat , as for your "stews" of course you wont die from eating cooked meat without potato but then its not an irish stew go and google irish stew.

Com'on, are you kidding? Seriously you must realize it wasn't because potatoes were missing from Irish beef/lamb stew that caused a deadly famine. It was because for hordes of Irish potatoes were their MAIN food source. Usually there'd be NO meat in their diet. From what I've read, the average Irishman's diet consisted of 5 lbs of potatoes and a quart of milk a day. Meat was a rarity usually served on Sunday.

If they'd have had beef stew without potatoes they would not have died.

^^ What she said.
  • rosemaryhon
    Options

We made them with carrots and celery as well as meat. Stew is whatever the hell you want it to be, no Googling necessary. To say that people died because they couldn't add potatoes to one is totally asinine LOL

Yea, I'm gonna agree here ^ ;)
  • christiec2015
    Options
    I love it! I get to eat all my favourite foods and I'm feeling great! I'm never hungry and have found I'm full of energy :smile: today I'm having river cobbler, leek and broccoli with a chive butter, yum!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My view:

I've never tried it because I know I wouldn't stick to it. Without a medical need, I wouldn't see the point of the restriction. I know several people who have lost weight using Atkins, but none that have stuck with it and kept the weight off.

I imagine that it is medically sound when done correctly, but unless you think it's something you will stick with for life it seems pointless to use it for weight loss.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that water stew back in Ireland was really popular.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    wheat intolerance here (and potatoes and rice also negatively effect how I'm feeling...as far as common starchy foods go, corn is the only one I don't react to at all)... so a diet consisting solely of meat & veggies seems pretty normal to me.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I like food too! GOOD LUCK OP!
  • glenbea
    glenbea Posts: 6 Member
    Options

It's temporarily restrictive. This is the Atkins plan, pasted from
    http://www.atkins.com/Science/Articles---Library/Atkins-Lifestyle-(1)/Reach-Your-Goal-by-Climbing-the-Carb-Ladder.aspx

Phase 1, Induction:
    Rung 1: Foundation vegetables: leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables
    Rung 2: Dairy foods high in fat and low in carbs: cream, sour cream, and most hard cheeses
    Phase 2, Ongoing Weight Loss:
    Rung 3: Nuts and seeds (but not chestnuts)
    Rung 4: Berries, cherries, and melon (but not watermelon)
    Rung 5: Whole milk yogurt and fresh cheeses, such as cottage cheese and ricotta
    Rung 6: Legumes, including chickpeas, lentils, and the like.
    Rung 7: Tomato and vegetable juice “cocktail” (plus more lemon and lime juice)
    Phases 3 and 4, Pre-Maintenance and Lifetime Maintenance:
    Rung 8: Other fruits (but not fruit juices or dried fruits)
    Rung 9: Higher-carb vegetables, such as winter squash, carrots, and peas
    Rung 10: Whole grains
    I agree with you but its that early phase where most people fail.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on it years ago. I think it works, however in its stictest form ie) induction I it can be unhealthy. Cutting JUNKY carbs and eating lower glycemic, good carbs sweet potato, limited whole grains works a bit slower, but may be easier.
  • glenbea
    glenbea Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Induction is only 2 weeks. Longer if you want. Today's Atkins is not the old Atkins. It has evolved, probably the same way that Weight Watchers has, to more meet the needs of those who need these plans. Regardless of what people wish were true, you have to have restriction somewhere in order to lose weight.
  • DiamondL88
    Options
    I don't know how fast and easily you want to lose weight but I can assure you that
    with discipline,commitment and dedication, you can lose weight and achieve the
    desired body size you want.

Here are 4 factors that contribute to overweight
    1. too much fatty foods
    2. too much carbohydrate/sugary foods
    3. lack of exercise
    4. over eating

If you are able to eliminate all these factors from your life, I bet you will be able
    to lose weight quickly than you can ever imagined.

If you think due to one or two reasons you can eliminate these factors, then I will advise
    you to try weight loss supplements such as the fat burners and appetite suppressants. They
    will help you a lot in you quest to lose weight.

I hope you follow these tips and I wish you good luck. You can read more
    on how to lose weight http://goo.gl/IerPQr
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Not knocking, but coming from a person who referances "Wikipaedia" you should have anticpated some sarcasm;) HUGZ!!!! Try scholar sites when citing:) wikipedia can be changed by anyone.