Exercising on sore muscles?

Options
I started going to the gym again recently and last went on Wednesday. As I'm starting out after a long time away from the gym, I was aiming to go 2 or 3 times a week depending on how I recover from each session.

It's now Sunday and I was hoping to go this weekend but my muscles are still sore to move from Wednesday. I don't want to over-do it or injure myself so was wondering how long to wait before going back. Is it safe to work already sore muscles? Am I better waiting until I've stopped aching?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    it should be safe to exercise on sore muscles if you've taken that long a rest. Extended soreness is normal when beginning an exercise routine and one of the ways to combat it is to keep working out. You do not need to wait until your soreness fully goes away.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    I started going to the gym again recently and last went on Wednesday. As I'm starting out after a long time away from the gym, I was aiming to go 2 or 3 times a week depending on how I recover from each session.

It's now Sunday and I was hoping to go this weekend but my muscles are still sore to move from Wednesday. I don't want to over-do it or injure myself so was wondering how long to wait before going back. Is it safe to work already sore muscles? Am I better waiting until I've stopped aching?

You'll probably be ok. Maybe reduce the intensity of your workout till you're used to going to the gym regularly.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    For me at least once I get moving into my workout the soreness subsides and I feel back to normal. Start off slow and see how you feel. Maybe take a walk and see how you feel first?
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    You should be ok since you’ve rested so long. Make sure to warm up your muscles really well first though. And I suggest doing a warm up and a good 30 minute stretching session on your off days. It will help.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, you're following a structured plan (either one you make for yourself, or from an actual program) and keeping track of each exercise - reps and weights. I would de-load/fewer reps than what you did Weds (often starting out it's easy to go too hard - "first fervor") or it your soreness is related to elliptical/treadmill/stair climber adjust to easier settings. After your routine, whatever it is, do a cool-down and stretches. I find foam rolling also helps. Being active (walking, moving around) on rest days is really helpful, too - you'll notice yourself loosening up and having less pain as you move around. Good luck!
  • reesegrace1
    reesegrace1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I find that if i do the same exact workout again in 48 hours, that it seems to work the soreness out & relieve the soreness, making it seem less sore.
  • joelucky777
    joelucky777 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Alot of good answers I agree with. It happens to me because I often workout in streaks and take time off in between. Stretch. Very light warm up. Proper protein/fuel. Lower your reps and weight at first. Dont push too hard if the same muscles dont feel right. Switch or rotate out excercises until it feels better. Always staying active and loose helps alot even though I love a lazy off day.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have recently started going to the gym. I went twice this week, monday (I could feel I had worked the muscles but they were not really sore), wednesday, after that session which included triceps with a 5kg weight my triceps are in agony and it is day 3. I suggested to my sister (who I am going with) that maybe the weight was too heavy and she said that you have to work your muscles to soreness for it to do anything. Is this right, that they should be so sore I can't lift my arms on day 3?
  • asliceofjackie
    asliceofjackie Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    you have to work your muscles to soreness for it to do anything.

Short answer: No.

Soreness is not necessarily an indication of a good workout, nor is it an indication of a bad one. Some people get sore more easy than others, it's just the way life is. Anecdotally I can tell that I believe a vast majority of people get soreness after a really good workout, since it's a common response to the tearing of muscle fibres which occurs when lifting. But I've known people who were lifting semi-professionally and almost never were sore. If you're so sore you can't even lift your arms after 3 days, you probably did lift too heavy, too fast for your body and your current state of fitness.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are more resilient than you think. After 2-3 days rest it is fine to exercise again even if you are still sore. When I backpack, I wake up completely stiff and sore but once I get on the trail again I feel fine. The worst time is after the trip is over and I stop the exercise. I hobble around for days.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to stretch really well before and after exercise. Warm up and cool down also helps with that.
    Sore muscle sucks.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    In addition to stretching, you may want to research foam rolling. I find it reduces post-workout soreness tremendously.