Yet another hello post

Options
TL:DR - 30 something with lots of birds with a lot of weight to lose saying hello to all of you fine folks.

Hi there. I'm not new to the site, I would say, but new to participating in the community in any real way. To do that I started fresh, made a new account, and am ready to get to work.

A little bit about me. I'm in my mid 30's and started my weight loss journey at 450lbs. I'm currently hovering between 400 and 410 depending on the day. I stand at 5' 5" (okay technically it's 5' 4 1/2" but rounding is a glorious thing) and work an office job from home.

Due to some family emergencies last year, I moved halfway across the country from Omaha to South Carolina. My mother was in the hospital for an intestinal abscess and my father had a stroke landing both of them in the hospital at the same time. As the good daughter, I dropped everything and rushed home.

Due to some complications, unfortunately my mother passed away in April of 2018. My father, who went through inpatient rehab and was now in outpatient rehab and I were devastated. Needless to say, 2018 was a stressful year.

Fast forward to 2019. I know that I've been putting off self care for awhile now. Back in 2009, when I was still in my 20's, weighed 435 lbs and over the course of the next few years put all of that weight back on and then some. There were many factors involved in this. The most basic being that I stopped caring and stopped monitoring my intake. I know that I'm the type of person who will always have to keep and eye on their caloric intake regardless of weight and I'd not cared enough to continue. I worked a full time job and was a full time college student. As the internet would say, 'ain't nobody got time for that' became my state of mind.

It's now time to make time for that.

About my username. I have four inside birds currently. Two 'tiels named MewMew (shortened from Muninn) and Roy and two budgies named Skitters and Ghost. We have an array of chickens as well. Later I'll post some pictures and videos of baby chicks that will make anyone a chicken lover. Before hand I've owned cockatiels, finches, and one sassy african grey parrot.

I'm excited to become an active part of the community and share my journey of rediscovering self care, accepting the things I cannot change, and having the strength to change the things I can.

Replies

• PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,850 Member
    Options
    One of my closest friends has an African grey. It's almost a little too intelligent. :)

Good luck to you! I hope 2019 is a much better year for you.