Keto as a lifestyle change

Options
mayogyn
mayogyn Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I did Atkins 16 years ago. Lost 25 pounds then became a vegetarian. Gained it all back. Not good. Now I’m doing Keto (pescatarian) and am at the point in my life anyways where I cook mostly fresh from scratch, mostly veggies, some fake meats and rarely fish. Occasional dark chocolate, Atkins snack bars or fat bombs for a little treat. I can do this forever now. I went to Japan recently and took a break for two weeks (ate lots of fish, veggies, some rice and occasionally chocolate, ice creams, etc. Didn’t gain a pound.) Now I’m back on Keto - missed my mushrooms and avocados and fried eggs! So long term Keto is possible but you have to be there mentally. Like anything else (getting married, learning an instrument or language, quitting drinking) you have to be in the right place in your head or it just isn’t going to work.

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You need to find what works for you.

I'm a few years into maintenance at this point and I haven't cut out any foods that I like, for me personally that's one of the reasons why I've been able to do this long term. I've also learned that I do better on a higher carb way of eating, 200+ carbs a day is my sweet spot.

But, what works for me may not work for someone else.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Why is it a "lifestyle" change? It's just a dietary change.

Now, being a vegan would be a lifestyle change - it's an ethical position that encompasses more than just what's on your plate.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something that works so well for you. Congrats!