Zero calorie foods

Options
elliot29collins
elliot29collins Posts: 29 Member
edited February 2019 in Recipes
I'm pretty sure there is no such thing I've heard of low-calorie foods but nothing like zero cal

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Water.

On US nutrition labels, if a food has fewer than 5 calories per serving, they can legally say it's zero. You'll see that on pickles or mustard, for example. While they aren't zero, they are low-cal enough that it's highly unlikely that eating them will impact your calorie intake significantly. But other than water, you're correct.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The fruit of "The Wishful Thinking Tree" perhaps? ;)

The desire for there to be zero calorie foods is just a small part of the search by people prepared to do absolutely anything it takes to lose some weight - well anything that is apart from actually eat a bit less.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Then you, sir, have never eaten cookies on Christmas or pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. It's common knowledge that holiday treats eaten on major holidays have zero calories.

Now if you'll excuse me, my President's Day sundae awaits...

100 internet points to you.. for funny of the day award.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there is no such thing I've heard of low-calorie foods but nothing like zero cal

Zero calories, not really. But negative calories, a few.

Thought this was a myth... healthline.com/nutrition/negative-calorie-foods#nutritious-foods
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    paulbrttn wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »

Zero calories, not really. But negative calories, a few.

Thought this was a myth... healthline.com/nutrition/negative-calorie-foods#nutritious-foods

He was probably referring to things like rotten chicken or natto. You know, things that make you puke after you eat them.
  • hypocacculus
    hypocacculus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    According to Wikipedia, the definition of food is something that when eaten, provides sustenance, vitamins and/or minerals. So I guess calorie free vitamin pills would count. Not very filling though :-) There are other things that would supply no calories that technically you could eat without harm (gold, sawdust, fur) but for perhaps obvious reasons, they tend not to be called food.