Second Month Curse

It has been FOREVER since I have been on here, and I don't even know if anyone will see/comment, but I felt the need to document this current stage in my weight loss journey.

Much like with every new year, I made the promise to myself to lose weight, however this was emphasized even more once I saw that my weight had gotten up to 277 ( the highest it has ever been). It was at this time that I took a real look at myself, and how I wanted to move forward.

Unlike with previous new years resolutions, I went into January with intent, fully committing to watching my food intake and what I ate, along with more exercise, and I am currently down 14 pounds, however over the course of this month, I have been thinking more about my food.

This is probably the longest I have stayed committed to healthy eating, and also seen results on the scale, but I find myslef thinking more about pizza, and burgers then ever before.

I am trying my best to stay strong, and get through this month with hope that these thoughs will lessen as this is usually the time that I fall off the wagon. I was just wondering if anyone else has gone (is going) through this, and if you had any advice.

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Hi there! Congrats on your changes thus far.

Any chance that you’ve chosen a plan that’s a little too restrictive? Losing 2 lbs per week is good at the beginning but a lot of people find that as they continue, it doesn’t allow them quite enough food to fuel their daily lives comfortably.

Can you reduce your target to a 1 lb per week loss? This will allow you more wiggle room to fit in the food that you like in reasonable portions, and maybe you can save some unused calories from the week to use on special occasions so you can get to have some of that yummy pizza!

A rule of thumb I have been using when making way-of-eating changes has been: “can I stick to this change for the rest of my life?” If I can’t, I don’t make that change. If you don’t feel you can give up pizza forever, don’t make that change! But if you can decide to only have 1 slice at a sitting, then that’s a much more sustainable change, and it still represents great progress.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited February 2019
    Define burger? Shouldn’t be too tough to fit a burger into a plan unless it has to be a Big Mac. Pizza can be more of a challenge.

As you’re finding out, long term success requires staying power. Can you modify any of your favorites to fit them into your plan? Can you plan a day with more calories to help make things fit?

If you have a lot to lose, the strict eating austerity program is very unlikely to get you to your goal weight. Find some middle ground. It’s doable, and you can do it. Experiment and keep trying.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Have pizza/burger or whatever - it is possible to eat things you enjoy and lose weight as long as you take in less calories than you burn consistently.
  • Baz8755
    Baz8755 Posts: 9 Member
    I stick 'mainly' to plan but allow myself to stray at weekends, sticking to a too restrictive plan would doom me to failure. I also use exercise to build up rewards, so for instance if I want to have a burger for dinner along with a beer or 2 I will ensure that I have done enough exercising to cover the excess. I find this works really well as it gives me the incentive to exercise, and if I don't do the exercise I can't have the treat ;)
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    I think the most valuable lesson I have learned from the wise MFP veterans is that I don't have to eat or exercise in any way that I don't enjoy in order to lose weight. If I am struggling or unhappy with my choices, then I'm doing it wrong. I eat the same as I always have, but just less quantity. I only do exercise that I like, but I'm not required to do any if I don't want to.

The other thing I've learned is not to look too far ahead because it makes me feel impatient. I don't think about how long it will take.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    I can't seem to be able to edit posts all of a sudden.

I wanted to add that this weight loss process has taught me a lot about myself. Take this opportunity to figure yourself out. It may benefit you the rest of your life.