14er Advice?

Options
Wanted to see if there was anyone out there who can give tips and advice on completing my first 14er? I live in Colorado, and would love to train to complete my first one this year! Would love to prepare correctly...

Replies

• Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Many can be walked by just about anyone in even below average fitness. Dont stress it. You live in Colorado, the altitude wont be an issue.

I've bagged 30+ 14's, and one time saw one person who felt "altitude sick".

If you let us know your specific hike and time of year, I can give advice on necessity of crampons of whatnot ... but i wouldn't stress the climb itself, unless it's an odd-sided summit. (Whitney from the Owens valley side is a walk, whitney from the west or north (guitar lake base camps) can be pretty butt-clenching)
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    And ... ENJOY IT. If the weather is good, and you have appropriate footwear for the type of ice ... it'll be more fun than anything.

rbj4fw89eag7.jpg
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    This resource on hiking training plans was posted on MFP yesterday. You might find something helpful.
    https://www.exodustravels.com/fitness-guides
    It all depends on your current fitness level, hiking experience, and the amount of technical work involved in the climb. What is the hardest distance/elevation you've done already?
    There surely are some local hiking clubs or stores like REI that probably offer workshops and outings. Have fun!
  • audreypawdrey
    audreypawdrey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this topic too. I have lived in the Denver area since 2004 but have never conquered a 14er. I would like to cross that off my list this summer. My brother is coming to visit Labor Day weekend, and the goal is to summit Mt. Elbert. I am trying to walk 45 miles a week (brand new goal-two weeks in) in preparation, but I would love other tips as well. Tips for home too-he is from a much lower elevation!
    Is there a better one to start with in June? I don’t have ice equipment, and I don’t want to buy that stuff yet.
    Thanks!
  • BoxerLover96
    BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to complete a "beginner" 14er. Possibly June? And what do you pack?
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    One of the things that might help with a "beginner" hill is looking at the base elevation and total hike distance ...

Something like Mt Bross (14.177), you can park at 11,400 (timberline), and the walk from there might be 4 miles; nothing technical, but fully exposed. So an 8-mile above treeline hike where it's easy to see / be seen and turn-back as needed for a taste of it. If ya wanna work a few more miles, head north across the Mt. Cameron saddle to bag Mt Lincoln (14,295) -- there's well-defined single-track going this way with moderate side-slope and a nice 1,300ft amphitheater (the last thousand feet of this approach is a bit thin, and will require some attention.
  • Sophiepants33
    Sophiepants33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey, fellow Coloradan, ;) I've done a handful of climbs. I have lived here for decades and I got sick once with the altitude and had to go back. I have a friend who also lives here and every time she's tried the altitude does her in, I think it's individual differences.
    Have you ever heard of the Emily Griffiths Center? It's a local charity that takes at-risk teens, long story short they do awareness hikes in the summer which includes a guide and a how-to everything called 'Peak Challenge'. I found them super useful, they train you by taking you on 13 ers first or a 14er (4 practice climb and 1 'real' 14er) but start at a higher level than average and they allow you to go the pace you feel most comfortable. I am super thankful I had such great experience doing that with them. https://www.griffithcenters.org/events/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to complete a "beginner" 14er. Possibly June? And what do you pack?
    Food, water, extra clothes, and https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html