Feeling exhausted?

Options
I've struggled for a long time with feeling tired. I sleep well and comfortably, usually get 7 - 9 hours. I was hoping by moving a bit more I would feel more energetic so decided to start going to the gym again, aiming to go for around 40 minutes two or three times a week.

Only I am EXHAUSTED at the end of the work day. I get out of work (well actually the tiredness hits around 2 pm...) and I'm falling asleep. I don't have the energy to cook or have a shower let alone go to the gym! I've considered if I sleep enough/too much, if I drink too much caffeine, I try and eat regularly throughout the day and get a good mix of carbs/fat/protein so my blood sugar doesn't drop too much.

But I can't seem to shake being exhausted. I work in an office as an administrator which shouldn't be too taxing and I absolutely hate being sat down all day so in theory I should be bouncing by the end of the day? There's so much stuff I want to do- when I do make it to the gym I really enjoy exercise, I'd love to get out more and do things I enjoy like art or decorating. But I'm too tired!

I'm only 21 and have the energy of someone who's 81. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How big is your calorie deficit?
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    How big if a deficit are you in? Can you request a stand up desk if you hate sitting all day? What do you do for your lunch hour? Possible to get out of the office and go for a walk? I find I'm more energized in the afternoon if I do that.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options

I'm not in a deficit as I'm not trying to lose weight. I just eat as I want which is usually breakfast, lunch and dinner with a morning snack, mid afternoon snack, later afternoon snack and dessert after dinner. I don't track calories (I've tried, it works in the morning but once I get eating I can't bothered tracking everything) but I'd estimate at 1800-2000.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »

I'm not in a deficit as I'm not trying to lose weight. I just eat as I want which is usually breakfast, lunch and dinner with a morning snack, mid afternoon snack, later afternoon snack and dessert after dinner. I don't track calories (I've tried, it works in the morning but once I get eating I can't bothered tracking everything) but I'd estimate at 1800-2000.

Seeing whether you're anaemic would be my next suggestion then
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it could be a lot of things. and i'll list some. but mostly you should probably check with your dr.
    too great a calorie deficit
    not the right nutrients-lack of iron, protien, vitamin, etc
    hormones
    too much too soon

i actually have hypersomnia with bouts of insomnia, but mostly i have hypersomnia. which means i want to sleep a lot. it means i have to schedule naps if i have periods of strenuous activity. if i run a half marathon in the morning, i may not wake up again till late afternoon. i can fall asleep in under 5 min while drinking espresso. i was tested for all the sleeping disorders. for ex: sleep apnea is not just snoring.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    How big if a deficit are you in? Can you request a stand up desk if you hate sitting all day? What do you do for your lunch hour? Possible to get out of the office and go for a walk? I find I'm more energized in the afternoon if I do that.

I thought about the getting out during my lunch hour too and usually go for a walk and if I'm lucky find a sunny spot. It's pleasant but doesn't help
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of morning workouts? I find it energizes my day. Sounds more chronic though - perhaps a blood test is in order?
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    Tankiscool wrote: »

I thought about the getting out during my lunch hour too and usually go for a walk and if I'm lucky find a sunny spot. It's pleasant but doesn't help

Then I'd suggest that the other users have said and see your doc and get some blood work done. Maybe there is something not working probably. Tiredness is a symptom of many things.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be iron deficiency (anemia). Go get some blood work done.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    Get some blood works and see if there's anything that's close to being outside of the normal range, or clearly outside, like thyroid tests, ferritin, vitamin D and vitamin b12. These can all cause terrible exhaustion. Sleep apnoea, and lots of other options as well...